ainsworth

Supercharging a zetec

ainsworth

Hi,

A few threads exist about members considering this, but I can not locate any subsequent information detailing how much of a success this turned out to be.

I have a 1.8 zetec and wondered if anyone had supercharged similar and whether the engine thereafter continues to be reliable and a good driving experience.

Regards

Michael.

pickmaster Andy Lowe

I think these guys offered a kit

http://www.tts-performance.co.uk

For a low pressure supercharger

CrisisWolf

Let me know how you get on!  :d

Greggs

Like the sound of 220bhp out of a standard blacktop...

M444TTB

I reckon a Rotrex supercharged but otherwise near standard 2.0 black top is a great way to go. Probably similar risk to grenading a tuned n/a engine but with easier and cheaper to source replacement. N/a tuning isn't cheap so a supercharger probably isn't leagues ahead cost wise. Small weight penalty though. Or for the same weight you open up the engine and get tuning. Then run 400bhp!

Terryathome

Blacktop standard crank only good for 300bhp need steel for above that. Pistons, con rods, head gasket, oil pump, arp bolts and head studs, gearbox, chassis mods, exhaust, inlet plenum, ecu type, intercooler and other things might need to be considered. Just a few things to take on board before you commit to anything. l know as thats the upgrade over the winter months for me. Oh and the cost.

Terry

wackydo

So, a good question I think is this, What sort of budget would you need for taking a standardish 2lt zetec running say 180bhp on webers and taking it to say 250bhp with a supercharger.  I guess that the same question is good for a 1.8lt again going to 250bhp.

How does that cost break down over the major components?

Tony

alexander72

at a guess £5k?

corsechris

Generally speaking, a well tuned aspirated engine isn’t a good starting point for forced induction. The high CR and large overlap cams are not a good basis, even if the high flow head and ideally steel crank and forged rods are. There may be some opportunity to work with the large overlap by changing lift on overlap with cam timing though.

To quote the classic clip, “well, I wouldn’t start from here”.

• Like 1

NickBW

Yep.

I spoke to the Blcktop god, Ian Howell who runs Area Six Developments.  He know his stuff and has worked on blacktops for 20 years.  There is a video of one of his fiestas with a blacktop in it pushing 700bhp.  He said if you have had any work done on a blacktop, your best bet is to sell it and buy a crate or second hand low miles engine.  Any work done will be undone by turbo, supercharging it.  Just like what @corsechris mentioned

the stoat

The other cost to consider is what do you need to keep it cool, more power means more heat to get rid of.