New Owner - Fiat Twin-Cam SEi Narrowbody

benedwards64

Afternoon all!

I thought I'd drop in and introduce myself and my latest purchase. I'm historically a Japanese car enthusiast but fancied something different for a change - and what could be more different than a Fiat-powered Westy?

The below is a cut-and-paste from another forum I frequent, describing my first couple of days with the car. I should explain that I know both the previous owner and the engine builder, so hopefully it's not *quite* as much of a punt as it might seem :d

How not to buy a car, vol. 17:

Drive 2 ½ hours north in an MR2 with a freshly built top-end in Friday evening traffic. Arrive c. 9pm, kick the tyres a bit and have some pizza. Have a quick whistle-stop tour of the purchase (“That’s your windscreen-wiper switch. Don’t forget that one.”) and then head off at 10.30pm in a newly purchased car you’ve never driven before, in the dark, in a fixed seat that doesn’t fit you, to Scunthorpe. Panic about the amount of fuel in the tank (no  gauge!), get lost in Scunthorpe and eventually get directions off a pair of very jealous chavs in MacDonald’s carpark. Place cover (pond-liner and bungees, crude yet effective!) over car, check into hotel and collapse into bed.

Next day: sleep through alarm, miss breakfast and walk out of the hotel as it starts raining. Drive newly-purchased and still very alien car (with no windscreen!) to Blyton park circuit in the rain: terrifying. Feel silly for organising Toyota trackday and then turning up in a British car with an Italian engine, then gingerly head out onto a patchy damp track. Dodge rain storms, damp tracks, faster cars, slower cars (not many!) and eventually decide that I should probably point my plastic nose-cone down the 180 miles to home. Rains: get wet. Sunny: dry off. This cycle repeated pretty much all the way down South, until I came off the M40 onto the Oxford ring road into a truly biblical rainstorm. Never been more wet or more terrified in my life, aquaplaning at 50mph whilst looking up into the wheelarches of passing lorries is definitely not the one! Arrive home, car into garage and drip my soggy way straight into a hot bath.

Oh what fun :d

So there we have it, I’m now the owner of a very silly and fantastically fun little Westfield. It’s a great little car with enormous potential, and my plans basically are to tinker with it, improve little bits here and there and generally enjoy it whist keeping a steady eye on the weather forecast  :lol:

The engine is a recently-rebuilt Fiat Lampredi 2-litre twin cam running R1 carbs, high compression pistons, high-lift cams, a Volumex head and plenty of other tasty little bits and pieces. It also has ARBs front and rear (rare for a kit, I understand), a front wide track kit, Quaiffe LSD and a digidash. We think that it was originally built as a racer or sprint car and then later converted and SVA’d for road use – the underlying build seems to be pretty good but a lot of the cosmetic bits are a bit slap-dash (uneven front wheelarches, wonky numberplates and loose mirrors are a bit of a clue). I think the wiring needs some attention as well as the temperature readouts seem to vary depending on how many electric things I have switched on, and the suspension is clearly set up for track use so that’ll need some attention and setting up as well to make it a little more supple over Oxfordshire’s finest back-roads. I may also look at a couple of other things to make it a little more friendly, such as swapping out the GRP seats, sourcing a tonneau cover and maybe even fitting a windscreen if I get excitable  :lol:

Having spanked all my spare money on a pile of stone and mortar most of this will have to wait for a while, so in the meantime I’ll be doing plenty of local (sunny!) journeys in the westy to get used to its little ways and see if there’s anything else that needs attention. I’m already having to completely re-calibrate my ideas of what are acceptable cornering speeds :d

A few phone pics will have to do for now until I get the proper camera out...

A rare dry moment at Blyton:

26kDZjA.jpg

After a quick ‘Monte Wash’

c0WmFwk.jpg

ke4WWk2.jpg

HFumLnt.jpg

Sumptuous interior:

VCHBQCo.jpg

Wonk!

zViMfb7.jpg

yl43plJ.jpg

uLWHWNm.jpg

Italy’s finest (and god it sounds good):

Yz2uliC.jpg

So there we have it! the current engine specs, for anyone who's interested, are:

Fiat Lampredi 2.0 Twin Cam
Gas flowed 'Volumex' head with 43.5/36mm valves
Bogg Brothers R1 Carb conversion, now running 160 main jets and Dynojet needles
Piper BP300 high lift 290deg 'Rally' cams 
New High compression 84.4mm domed pistons giving 11:1CR
Guy Croft uprated head gasket
Guy Croft 12:9 race head bolts
Guy Croft oil pump
New std size big ends
New tensioner bearing
New gasket set
Alloy velocity stacks 
Pipercross air filter and custom back plate
Competition adjustable vernier pulleys
Uprated external oil cooler
Stainless steel bespoke 4-1 headers and system by PD Gough
Tuned by Torque Tune. Now running circa 170bhp @ wheels (7000rpm)
Facet fuel pump
Malpassi fuel pressure regulator and filter

Chassis spec:

High ratio 2.4 rack
Independent coilover suspension front and rear
Front wide track kit
Anti roll bars front and rear
Federal RSR tyres
Quaife ATB Diff with LSD
Westfield rear diffuser
Alcon Racing front calipers
Braided brake lines

The car's history is admittedly pretty patchy - the build suggests it was a sprint, hill-climb or race car (possibly with a different engine) when it was originally built in 1990. If anyone recognises the car I'd be grateful for any info! There are a few bits that'll need attention too:

The suspension is the main thing that needs attention. It's rock hard (particularly at the rear), the ride-height is uneven from one side to another and it's too low on general. There's a meaty sump guard fitted which I can confirm is doing its job well! I think a visit to Procomp will be in order for a full set-up to make it a bit more road friendly (unless there are any other recommendations closer to Oxford?)

I need to spend some time on the digi-dash. At present the coolant temp shoots up 20C or so if I switch on something electric, so there's something not quite right there! I also seem to be getting some spikes in coolant temperature, but I'm unsure if this is the dash playing up, the fact that I'm used to ECU-controlled gauges or something more sinister. The car's certainly shown no typical signs of overheating over the few hundred miles I've done so far.

I'm actually a fan of the aero screen experience, but think I need to investigate fitting a tonneau so I can leave it outside without worrying about possible showers when it's parked. Again, recommendations appreciated... :)

That's pretty much it, so far. Intentions are to enjoy it locally and also do a few trackdays. I'll have a look and see if there are any local meets coming up :)

Welcome Ben,

Great write up, great car by the sounds of it and what an experience !!

Have fun with the car and in this great lttle Club.

Im in northampton and using my mighty cross flow as daily drive this week :-) 

Look on YouTube under magikbeans looks like your car on there with starting problems before and after

Magikbeans is the previous owner and a friend of mine - the YouTube vids are before the engine rebuild :)

Hi from down south.

Fiat engine, can't be many of those around in a Westfield.   Your thread title should be  "And now for something completely different"    I like your indoctrination into Westfield ownership, a few others have been babtised on their inaugural run.

Well after a first trip like that it's either sell it or love it ;)

A years worth of fun in 2 days, I think your addicted to your new way of life :)

Welcome aboard

Welcome along to a great club.

Looks to be a nice Westy you have there.

I am your local Area Officer, and details of our local meet are in my signature strip below.

Unfortunately I am away on holiday from tomorrow so will miss the next monthly meet at the end of August, but please feel free to come along, you will be made more than welcome

I hope to catch up with you at our September meet!

If you need any help or advice, just shout me, we will do our best to help you out

Cheers

Gary

Thanks for the welcome guys - yes, it was a pretty eventful few days! I've now had the car for a month or so and have been able to get out and about fairly regularly. I'll see what I can do with regards to the local meet, although I travel a fair bit with work during the week so may struggle a bit on that front. I'll keep an eye out for club shows, trackdays etc. as well though :)

Welcome. See if you can get along to the Rock - there's usually a few of us there.

Geoff

my cross flow would love to compare engine notes one day brackley hatch down to M40???

I'm sure something could be arranged :)

I'm not up on my Ford engines, but my old man has a Kent engine in his 1980 Morgan 4/4 which has a nice note to it.

Welcome Ben. Nice to see something different in a Westfield. Very comprehensive article, might be worth submitting to the magazine.

Northhampton Motor Sport might be nearer to you for suspension set up. Well recommended on here.

Welcome Ben. Nice to see something different in a Westfield. Very comprehensive article, might be worth submitting to the magazine.

Cracking idea Nic, would love to see something like this in the magazine!

And welcome Ben, great looking car. I remember someone bringing a Fiat Twink to one of the Cheshire meets a few years ago, (possibly even that one?), was great to see something different. :yes:

Northhampton Motor Sport might be nearer to you for suspension set up. Well recommended on here.

Interesting idea, happy to submit something similar (perhaps with better photos!) if you think it'd be of interest? Just let me know where, when and to whom :)

I'll check out NMS, thanks - looks like they're only 45 minutes or so from me.