A Plan - not living up to expectations

bhouse

I've just moved and phoned A-Plan to let them have the new address. Two things annoyed me:

1. £25 admin fee for changing the address - I know many insurance companies do this but I somehow had higher expectations for A-Plan
  2. Premium increased by about 10% even though new postcode I'm moving to is in exactly the same risk category as the address I'm moving from

Nothing I can do about it I just feel disappointed...

Bhouse - general underlying costs of capacity have increased in the past 4 weeks… that won't have helped 

Ah - so does that equate to "actuaries make mistakes and we all have to pay"? :(

Edit to complain about the spell check. I originally used a two word phrase familiar to anyone who has watched James May on TV (well before the watershed) and the filter changed it from "banned_word up" to "dangler up". This makes no sense and I don't see how it's protecting our children/wildlife/fluffy bunnies. Post now edited to avoid the potential for the swear filter to do its c*****g best.

Aah the infamous "dangler"

I and a lot of others have fallen foul of the dangler and like you I feel it makes no sense, but the committee feel otherwise. :down:  :down:

I think the £25 admin charge is probably a little on the steep side (a bit like bank charges) but unavoidable - after all, it's how these smaller brokers survive as they have to liaise between you and the actual underwriter and they make their money by the commission on each policy - even the big companies charge admin fees for everything under the sun  :down:

As for premium increase, just heard on the news that they're set to rise again after falling in the last 18 months - down to (mainly) the dreaded and cursed "whiplash" claims.

So we all pay for the scammers and fake accident con men :angry: :angry:

So should all newly registered cars be equipped with some kind of Hanse device and enough air bags , foam padding etc to prevent all or any injury becoming impossible . ???

Thats a bit off for the change of address, what if you moved to a safer area bet you wouldn't get a refund!

Strangely I am going through this with A Plan now, moving in with my parents whilst we wait to move to our next permanent house.

Have my Westy and main car with them, both with the same insurer - they have nicely offered to charge me just one lot of £25 for the 2 cars, but I do not get a rebate for the lower risk postcode...

It will be more interesting when we move into the next place (all being well) as the postcode is rated slightly higher than the temporary address - will they just charge me £25 again?

My renewal with A plan is due next week, gone up by £3, Blinking cheek  :)

hehehehe No Bhouse it equates to re-insurance companies charging for for the capacity (money) at risk across the scheme.  

It can often move by 00ths of a percentage point but if you have £250,000,000 worth of cars insured, or marine hull, that tiny change can mean the difference between a change in premium.  It isn't based on claims history its based on "cost of money" for the next insurance period. My job used to be broking these placements  for the rest of the world market into London, Munich and Geneva.  

Prefer being a tree surgeon :-) 

Brokers charging admin fee's is just a means of adding to their bottom line as A-plan dont actually carry the risk. 

Whether £25 is reasonable may be open to debate, but consider the time cost (labour including employers NI) and paper/postage etc, there won't be much of a margin....

i think its reasonable - we charged a flat fee for any paperwork of £50 in 1997 

They all charge, usually £25, for any alterations, beware if you have a private plate, the DVLA have now shut all the local offices, I could pop the equidistance to Brighton or Portsmouth and complete the change on the spot, now it take 3/6 weeks!! make sure you tell your insurer you are changing the number and make them enter this on your notes or they will try to charge you another £25.  

I am constantly a new customer every year on all my insurances,  on the Westie  last year I was with Mr Pickles, this year back to A Plan, next year back to Mr Pickles, I get the new customers only benefits and play one against the other.

Direct Line charge £15.  Which means I'm gonna have to pay £55 next month when we move with 2 tintops and a Westfield.