MX-5 Build Started

lewis

Well after ordering the starter kit back in January the day finally came to collect (most) of it. After a very wet drive to the factory the chassis was waiting.

WP_20140719_09_45_21_Pro.jpg

Unfortunately due to a problem with the track at the powdercoaters the suspension (and anything else that should be powdercoated) didn't make it in time but Ian will get that shipped out to me as soon as he gets it.

Got it all home but as there isn't a garage at dad's house it had to go in the house. It will be built up here until its ready for the engine. At that point will roll it to a proper garage (I know I know, why not build it in the garage from the start!)

WP_20140719_13_30_30_Pro.jpg

Paid a bit extra now to get the full roll cage lugs welded to the chassis as no doubt down the road I will be wanting it installed.

WP_20140719_13_30_55_Pro.jpg

No time for getting any work done this weekend so next weekend I will actually be starting the build!

Getting ahead of myself. But as this car is track day focused and is OK to look a bit mad I was thinking of getting all the body work in white then getting a vinyl wrap in the livery of the Mazda 787 as its a MX-5 powered build.

Mazda_787B_2008_Motorsport_Japan.jpg

Excellent to see another MX5 powered build - welcome. Some very knowledgeable people on here - you know who you are...

You could coordinate the engine bay too, powder coat the cam cover and inlet manifold in the green, then get a set of the silicon hoses in orange.

You could coordinate the engine bay too, powder coat the cam cover and inlet manifold in the green, then get a set of the silicon hoses in orange.

I think that will look good! Will get the intake and cam cover off and have done.

You could do something similar with a green tub and orange arches if you were really brave ;)

Not that brave. If i looks rubbish I can at least peel the vinyl away  :)

Quickly change the donor to one of these for maximum effect!

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=24162

With only 9 or so of them left (http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mazda_mx-5_le_mans_special) one of them will blow my budget (so far it's still looking on track for £10k!).

• Like 1

My last car had yellow nose/wings and black bodywork, (still love the look today, I should add, and no problems with those wanting to do similar),

But back when I did mine, you didn't see many two colour Westfields around, now they're so much more popular, I think if it was me, I'd rather do something a little different, to stand out.

I really like that Mazda colour scheme and I think it could be made to work really nicely, but I'd go the whole hog, (depending on bravery/cost), either in paint or with a wrap. Starting either with an orange or green car. (OK white, if you bottle it ;) )

And then have it wrapped so that you keep the sort of green/orange chevron pattern with dashed white bands separating them. I'd also want to try and set it out so that the V shape of the first green band started on the nose cone, but overlapped the front cycle wings when viewed from above, IYSWIM. And the same at the back, so that the wings continued that orange/whit dashed line/green theme.

• Like 1

Getting ahead of myself. But as this car is track day focused and is OK to look a bit mad I was thinking of getting all the body work in white then getting a vinyl wrap in the livery of the Mazda 787 as its a MX-5 powered build.

Mazda_787B_2008_Motorsport_Japan.jpg

one of my favourite GroupC cars :love: that would look superb for an SDV :cool:

If you're unsure about colour choice have a play around with the colour changer on Tiggers website to find a combination you like,

http://westfield-world.com/flash_changer.html

I don't think I'd dare not have a plain, simple, bodywork in case it all goes wrong with a wrap.

I downloaded some drawings of the top and side profile of a Caterham Super 7 (closest thing I could find) and will make a mockup in photoshop soon.

The day has finally come to actually start building the car. The first stage is to fit aluminium and GRP panels to the chassis.

I found that the first step, fitting the seat floor pans, was not necessary as the chassis came with them in place. Must have been a chassis revision (or two!) since the build manual was written. It was a bit tricky lining up some of the pre-drilled panel holes to the chassis and some had to be fettled a bit but generally all looking good.

20140726_105307737_iOS.jpg  

The chassis has a new cross member, the one in the middle of the triangle, which the seatback panel didn't have a cutout for.

WP_20140726_16_55_01_Pro.jpg  

A bit of measuring and cutting later and the panel fits perfectly.

WP_20140726_14_16_54_Pro.jpg  

More and more drill holes are appearing on the chassis now. Some too close to the edge for comfort though.

As my chassis is getting a full roll cage the exterior panels didn't have the holes for the cage mounts. A bit more measuring and drilling sorted this out.

WP_20140727_16_52_52_Pro.jpg  

The skin pins have been useful for holding panels down where it is harder for clamps to go.

Pretty much all of the panels are lined up and the chassis drilled. They will all be going off for a powdercoating before they get riveted down. Also I'm missing the drivers GRP footwell/footrest panel which looks like some others were missing on their kit recently.