Mazda SDV Build Diary

BenD

So i thought its about time i started my build thread of my SDV Mazda westy.

i stripped most of my mazda before i picked up my kit. it wasnt the worst car in the world but it had seen better days

so i started taking things off labeling everything up as i went along managed to get my engine out in a few hours with the help of my trusty block and tackle in the garage the engine came with full service history belts had been changed just over 5000 miles ago it ran really quite well just needed a tidy up and a few gasket and seal changes by the looks of it

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

once i had removed the engine i tackled the diff after reading about people horror stories with pff or big girder down the middle of the car whatever you want to call it i really wasn't looking forward to removing it but after a few hours of perseverance i got it out but i couldn't get my prop shaft bolts undone to separate it from the diff and im still trying.

IMG_4916.jpg

but all in all not a bad few days work i loosened all of the bolts on the uprights and just nipped them back up so i could push my Mazda out of the garage for the time being as collection day was approaching.

so the day came the 16th July to collect my new hobby. i unfortunately didn't take any photos of the collection at the factory as the excitement over took my mind just wanted it loaded to get it started. so got it home and unloaded it and then forgot i hadn't built my frame to put it on lol. so off i went to B&Q to buy some wood built my frame and then lifted it on using my once again trusty block and tackle and this is how it stands now with all of my bits and bobs underneath

IMG_4914.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

• Like 1

Looking through my build manual as im about to make a start i presume that the first part about the floor pan panels has changed because i dont have panels and the floor pan is already there. What sealant do people use around the panels as i need to get some today before i start. also i noticed after reading dommos build thread that i don't have the grp drivers side foot well panel with the foot rest on should i get this do i need it

oooo - another mazda build  :t-up:  :ww:

looks like the rear cam sensor seal had gone if not the rear of the cam cover  :)

I'd put some diagonal supports on that stand. The chassis soon gets heavy as you bolt bits on. I would suggest putting some big casters on the bottom as well - makings working on it a hell of a lot easier  :yes:

Re sealant - you should have a couple of tubes in your bags of bits

Re floor panels - yes it's changed since the manual but the small front pieces just go in front of the dropped floors

Have a read of this if you haven't already: LINKY

Some build diaries HERE will help if you haven't seen them already

Have fun  :)

You can use silicon for sealing the panels, though many use a high strength polyurethane sealant/adhesive known as Sikaflex. (Available on line, or from boat chandlers)

You will need the foot rest quite quickly once paneling begins. Though it can be added later at a pinch.

I'd echo the comment on diagonals on the build stand, it's surprising how much the paneling adds, let alone the suspension and brakes. 

Have fun with the build!

cheers for the advice i will put some diagonal supports in i had thought about it but changed my mind but i will definitely do it now. i haven't actually looked through all my bits for sealant.

I had to order that panel separately. There's space for it in the transmission tunnel, and I found myself using it today whilst cruising in 5th. Worth getting in my opinion.

I had to order that panel separately. There's space for it in the transmission tunnel, and I found myself using it today whilst cruising in 5th. Worth getting in my opinion.

Definitely, I use mine a lot

Definitely, I use mine a lot

likewise, if it wasn't there I'd be constantly riding the clutch

I called Westfield yesterday about the foot rest panel. Apparently I do have it but I'm not sure how it fits I'll post a piccy of it when I can get in the garage

No that's the pedal box cover. Goes above the pedals in front of the scuttle

So what does the foot rest panel look like then lol I have three grp panels. That one pictured one with two holes cut out at the ends and the one that goes at the back of the drivers side on the transmission tunnel

Oh cheer mate I don't have one of those. I'll have to ring Westfield on monday. Any ideas what it is called so I know what I'm asking for