Crossflow oil filler cap with breather outlet.

Lyonspride

More of a post for the archives really!!!!

For any and all staring down the barrel of £45 for a fancy alloy breather cap from Burton Power, or £7+p&p for that awful looking yellow one (which im convinced is deliberate to make you fork out for the alloy one).

The filler cap for an Austin Maestro or Montego is EXACTLY the same fit, identical to the yellow one that Burton sell BUT in a nice neutral black colour.

It's taken months of searching and researching, but I finally found an old forum post on a Maestro owners forum, where one single line mentioned it was the same as for old Fords.

All I had to go on was an old Austin part number, which I then traced to an old website and found an "alternative" part number, which then lead me to the ads on ebay :)

Edit - 2014/07/20 - Part number POBC01, seems to be the yellow cap, searching for "POBC01 oil cap" will bring up a bunch of "alternative" replacements.

I just got one on Ebay for £6.61 delivered :)

fillercap.JPG

• Like 1

Just search Ebay for Maestro filler cap. Unfortunately i'm using my phone at the moment and can't copy links on the ebay app.

I ordered the yellow one last year from Burtons. I received a black one which I was much happier with.

FWIW, it is not the tightest of fits (in a Burton rocker cover) and tends to have lifted up after a drive. Its probably only 1 mm in diameter too small and it can only rise about 4 mm before it hits the bonnet so its not the biggest of issues. I think I will order one of these off eBay and see if its a snugger fit.

I ordered the yellow one last year from Burtons. I received a black one which I was much happier with.

FWIW, it is not the tightest of fits (in a Burton rocker cover) and tends to have lifted up after a drive. Its probably only 1 mm in diameter too small and it can only rise about 4 mm before it hits the bonnet so its not the biggest of issues. I think I will order one of these off eBay and see if its a snugger fit.

Sounds like it's going to be the same item to be honest. 1mm is actually quite a lot, i'd say it's less than 0.5mm.

Mine isn't a very tight fit, but no worse than the crossflow specific item I bought before it.

I find after a drive though, it's swelled up and harder to remove.

It might be possible to remove the seal, put something underneath to open up the diameter a bit and then refit the seal.

The original 30+ year old cap fitted tightly when cold and was impossible to remove when warm.

I changed the seal for a slightly beefier to achieve a tight fit. Add another 50c and be happy :)

Cheers.

Jos

Bought the cheap one from Burton (bought two in fact), they are black, not yellow. As you say probably just a trick to make you pay more.

Mine are an easy fit on a cold rocker cover, nice and tight once the engine is warm. About the only thing left that works!