Ben-H

Mazda Limited Slip Diff LSD

Ben-H

Does anyone know if a torsen LSD will fit in the 1.6 casing, possibly using my existing crown wheel?

darve

Don't think so.

Why not swap out the whole diff to a 1.8 as they're stronger? Think all LSDs are push in shafts but you can get some of them cheap.

Mark (smokey mow)

Assuming we're talking about a 1989-93 1.6 diff casing then no a torsen will not fit.

The early 1.6's all used a 6.5" CWP diff whereas the 1995-97 MK1 1.6 and the 1.8 all used a 7" CWP

Your best/easiest option is to buy a complete torsen diff and housing together with the appropriate driveshafts and propshaft.

Ben-H

Thanks guys, thought it was a long shot! What's the opinion on the 1.6 viscous LSD? Any good in a Westfield? I've read mixed reviews of them in mx's but it would save swapping shafts and getting another prop shortened.

This is probably a job for after the IVA but it'd be nice to start being on the look out for components ;)

Mark (smokey mow)

I've got a VLSD in mine and its performed faultlessly for the last 5 years in my Westfield :)

Ben-H

That's good to hear Mark. Is yours a short nose 1.6 vlsd?

How does it feel when it locks,? Does it allow one wheel to spin for a while or does it lock up quickly?

Mark (smokey mow)

To my knowledge all the VLSD's and early 1.6 diffs are short nose.  The long nose and the rubber torque damper were only fitted to the later larger diff.

The action of the diff is pretty smooth and controllable and it's generally pretty easy to put the car both into and out of a spin with the use of the throttle.  That said though and having been a passenger in Dave's car which is running a Type2 Torsen I would suggest that the VSLD in my car is inferior to that.

It's not one of my best videos but you can see at 43seconds how controllable the car is in a slide.

darve

That said though and having been a passenger in Dave's car which is running a Type2 Torsen I would suggest that the VSLD in my car is inferior to ......

... but I'm smooth round the corners :d

Ben-H

Nice video :) looks a bit damp that day!! The diff seems to be working for you ok. In your opinion.. Do you think it's worth the extra time and expense going to a torsen? Or put it this way, would you be looking to upgrade?

Mark (smokey mow)

If you already have a VSLD then I would stick with that for now, you can always upgrade in the future which is/was my plan.

If you have neither then I would buy a T2 Torsen in preference even though it would also mean having to get a prop and shafts.

Ben-H

Cheers Mark, great advise as always. I've got the standard open diff at present, so I'll wait to see what comes up for sale..

Mark (smokey mow)

I bought the very rare 3.6 T2 Torsen which is in Dave's car now from AK Automotive. For a 4.1 ratio which is a much more common size and what I'd reccomend fitting in a lightly tuned 1.6 Westfield I'd expect to be paying around £300 including the prop and shafts.