Ben-H

Fuse box location (now my build thread!)

Ben-H

After seeing Gary's header tank upgrade, I couldn't resist. So I got one, and a battery tray from Alloy Racing Fabrications. This now allows the bypass by the thermostat housing to return to the header tank, meaning that I've got a small amount of flow while the thermostat is closed.

At the same time I used one of their fantastic, lay flat, battery trays.

While I was at it, I've never been happy with the fuse box location on the scuttle. It leaves the wires showing, I like to keep things looking uncluttered so I've cut a aperture in the panel and sat it down in with rivnuts to bolt it down. Plenty of space between the gearbox and wiring underneath. Quite pleased with the look I think...

7D4A3771-A51D-40FF-8076-7A2016E24622.jpg

BB448867-C479-4946-B190-A63FB73ED4EB.jpg

AF66EADC-D5FE-4ED1-B978-564F95EDCB6D.jpg

7F7396E3-D3F8-409B-AC41-AD8340F116E2.jpg

Mark (smokey mow)

Looks good Ben :t-up: that's exactly how I've done mine too :)

DSC_0388.jpg

Ben-H

Nice Mark. I like the carbon, something for a future upgrade... :)

Is that the standard pedal cover under the carbon? How did you fit it? Did you cut off the upstand that goes up the scuttle, or did you tuck it up behind the scuttle?

Graham0127

Really nice job Ben. The Mazda engined cars look really net and tidy......Darve's white one looks like something's missing...rearly tidy.

Mark (smokey mow)

The pedal cover is the standard Westfield part. I trimmed it so that there was a 10mm flange left all round the edge and then bonded it to the scuttle with silicone.

Ben-H

Thanks Graham. Nice solution Mark, might have to do something similar.. ;)

KugaWestie

Looks good Ben, nice job.

I am glad I am spending other peoples money as well as mine :)

• Like 1

Ben-H

I know I'm nearly there, and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't do a build thread at the time as I wasn't here :( but as I've been doing more recently, I'll turn this thread into my build progress. I've got pictures from the start including the Mazda strip out if you guys are interested? If not I'll carry on from where I'm at now.

Ben-H

Made a bracket for the upper steering column today for a few reasons. Firstly it enables me to get the column forward about 40mm so the lower column reaches the rack, but it also puts the wheel in a more comfortable position for my long arms. Secondly it allows me to rotate the column so the ignition key is easier to get into the barrel.

I made up the aluminium plate from stock, the stainless u bolt was a marine item that was a few mm small so it had to be heated up and reformed over an impact socket of the right diameter ;)

12E34BFA-3ED3-475E-8FF0-C7B8F9281333.jpg

7828A6A0-E0F2-4D41-92C8-8AF4EF7957DD.jpg

FC02FEDF-5876-46B7-9FD3-E813296D2FAC.jpg

76FB159E-E77C-4B88-BD52-21C956FF3F80.jpg

KugaWestie

Have you used lock nuts on the column bracket? If not, you should

lewis

As I am starting my build soon I would like to see how you got on from start to finish. Would probably take a fair while to write up though  :)

KugaWestie

As I am starting my build soon I would like to see how you got on from start to finish. Would probably take a fair while to write up though  :)

Have a look at my build thread - plenty of information in there

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/90534-kugawesties-mx5-sdv-build-thread-now-an-upgrade-thread/

Ben-H

Have you used lock nuts on the column bracket? If not, you should

Thread lock ;)

KugaWestie

Thread lock ;)

Good