Kingster's Build Thread - 2.0 Zetec

Kingster

Only had to use hand riveter maybe 4-5 times and now have all panels n pipe work in place other than top of tunnel and small inner footwell jobs.

My front uprights happened to be modified prior to ordering my kit as I had started off building an MK.

My donor was drum braked rear, but bought a disc conversion kit from rally design.

Still got to clean up my donor gear so that's the next task other than fitting the loom.

Proving difficult to embed links using my mobile while trying to convince the wife I am not surfing the Web.

Pics tomorrow!

A couple of pics for Kev...

20140719_142209.jpg

Never ever done solid brake pipes before - always used aeroquips on the bikes - so was fairly chuffed with the results

20140719_182925.jpg

20140719_183404.jpg

[edit] - images updated, much smaller file sizes now.

I had a long hard think about the fuel and brake line layout along the tunnel - and am now hoping that I haven't messed it up, so would appreciate an answer as to if this is acceptable (I can always get another brake line!).

Basically, in order to lay the fuel lines nice and tidily and following the recommended route as per the manual, I would have to cross the brake pipe over or under the fuel lines. Now, at this point, Bill Murray shouts "don't cross the streams!" - so I figured that I could use the opposite t-piece mount and run the brake line diagonally across the tunnel, as this would be a lot tidier (in my head anyway!). I also figured that the rest of the pipe work was designed to be mirrored for LHD, so could happily go either side.

Any issues with this arrangement - especially from an IVA viewpoint?

20140719_182956.jpg

20140719_152947.jpg

have you decided on y our engine? this might determine where the fuel lines go. if your going a zetec route then your ok dont know about other engines tho.

one comment, if that is them in the picture running up the bulkhead then you are going to be very close to the steering clolumn. it gets a bit tight around there with the column and master cylinder. i used rubber hoses all along the car and they run more inside the tunnel rather than underneath and come up pretty much striaght out of the end of the tunnel onto the regulator and fuel rail.

have you decided on y our engine? this might determine where the fuel lines go. if your going a zetec route then your ok dont know about other engines tho.

one comment, if that is them in the picture running up the bulkhead then you are going to be very close to the steering clolumn. it gets a bit tight around there with the column and master cylinder. i used rubber hoses all along the car and they run more inside the tunnel rather than underneath and come up pretty much striaght out of the end of the tunnel onto the regulator and fuel rail.

Got fed up faffing about with engine choices and decide to let my budget dictate things - so plumbing is to suit a Zetec/ST/XE configuration. Final choice will depend on what comes my way. I was getting carried away and started allocating funds I don't really have available (without being stupid), so back to plan A which means I will be able to afford the other bits I need!

I'll trial fit the steering column tonight - thanks for the heads up!

ok so one thing to consider. your going down a similar route to me. i used a silvertop from a mondeo. i also thought about doing it with the ford induction and an ecu but one of the issues i had was the induction fouled the column. WF said it was an easy fix using a multi point column rather than the stright bar that goes from the end of the sierra coumn to the rack.

tbf on the fuel lines i will probably have to replace the ruber hoses at some point and i will almost deffo go with solid if i can. i would have put mine in a similar way to yours but with the tube going up the other side of that pannel closer to the tunnel so if they are in the way then it will be easy enough to move over a bit. :t-up:  keep up the post its nce to see it and remember when i did it. :)

The reasoning behind std induction is for initial cost (well, cashflow really) and IVA emissions. If std induction won't fit without paying for mods, I might as well put that cost towards ITBs (bike maybe, again cost). I'll see what happens when I get to that stage tbh - first things first, fettling can wait ;)

20140719_182925.jpg

it might be the picture, but it looks like the brake line could chaff against that ali panel as it comes round to meet the m/c. looks like you might just about be able to tease it away. failing that, a small piece of rubber hose cable tied to that bit would keep the IVA man happy  :t-up:

it might be the picture, but it looks like the brake line could chaff against that ali panel as it comes round to meet the m/c. looks like you might just about be able to tease it away. failing that, a small piece of rubber hose cable tied to that bit would keep the IVA man happy  :t-up:

I'll double check this one tonight - must admit, looking back at the pics, the same thought crossed my mind!

The reasoning behind std induction is for initial cost (well, cashflow really) and IVA emissions. If std induction won't fit without paying for mods, I might as well put that cost towards ITBs (bike maybe, again cost). I'll see what happens when I get to that stage tbh - first things first, fettling can wait ;)

that was one of the reasons i just stumped up the cash up front for the jenvey setup. One of the members here helped out (god im bad with names but i do remember his car colour) which im still very greatfull for. i think when i factored in the new column, the changes to the plenum etc and 2 rolling roads that i needed at the time(one to set up ford then one later to do the throttle bodies) the jenvey lot, new, was only about 300 more.

Looking nice and neat :)

Not being a Westfield owner/expert, are they standard floor pans, or the lowered ones I've seen mentioned on cars for sale?

What material are brake/fuel pipes? 

The new Westfields all come with lowered floors as standard - welded in rather than an optional set to rivet in.

Brake pipes and fuel lines are as supplied by the factory - not 100% sure what they are tbh, but not soft like copper, fuel pipes take a bit of leverage to bend.

Fuel and brake lines are painted steel.

And yes they are the lowered floor pans, and as Kingster said, they're now standard. Originally they were an option, and done slightly differently. But achieved the same end result.