just started mazda SDV

daveq92

That is all for now in the photo department,going to do a compression test on the mx this week one evening sometime and decide what to do with the engine, its just a wait now to see if the dvla will come or not then its strip down time :) 

Get some plusgas on all those rusty bolts while you're waiting if you haven't done so already :)

You could also get those hub nuts cracked loose. If you get stuck, just shout as I have a secret method to get them undone :d

Looking good!

Whats the deal with the DVLA?

Shaun

Hi Shaun ,it's just that the Mx5 I bought last year has a private plate worth £900 and because I want to keep the plate I need to put it on a retention certificate,when I enquired about this it seems that Dvla may want to check the vehicle it is coming off and it must be kept in whole for inspectionto if they decide if not then ounce my certificate comes I can start stripping.

dvla all sorted now, so the mx can now be stripped but first job tomorrow is to check the compression to see the condition of the engine but regardless I will put new shells ,oil pump,water pump,cam pulleys ,crank seal and I'll be putting fast camshafts and springs having the flywheel lightened and I have decided to run it on bike carbs. So after checking the engine in the morning I will start taking the engine out I won't be able lift it out till Monday but I can get it all ready.

Why you going bike carbs?

More bhp and simple

Why you going bike carbs?

More bhp and simple and loads more room,that's it really

Checked compression this morning cyl 1 182 cyl 2 188 cyl 3 184 cyl 4 189 we'll within the 10 % across the 4 cylinders.

Then began to take the engine out started fine then hit a few snags a couple of the heat shield bolts wouldn't budge and bolt holding the bracket between the gearbox and exhaust solid also had to cut it off using just the hacksaw blade as there's no room,and only an inch of that, took well over an hour to cut . Just the starter to remove and a few bell housing bolts and that should be it I think we'll see tomorrow.

Took out all the rest of the bell housing bolts removed the starter and bolts from the engine mountins, I also remove the fan and dropped anti roll bar to give the engine more room to come forward,I was going to try and lift it out as I use to with my brother and son but on reflection I decided to hire a engine hoist tomorrow so that was it for this morning.chilled the rest of the day.

Took out all the rest of the bell housing bolts removed the starter and bolts from the engine mountins, I also remove the fan and dropped anti roll bar to give the engine more room to come forward,I was going to try and lift it out as I use to with my brother and son but on reflection I decided to hire a engine hoist tomorrow so that was it for this morning.chilled the rest of the day.

Good plan, the 1.6 engine was light enough for me to carry it into the shed but i wouldn't fancy lifting it out of the car by hand! Ive got a hoist you could borrow but I guess Dorset is a bit of a journey  :)

Good plan, the 1.6 engine was light enough for me to carry it into the shed but i wouldn't fancy lifting it out of the car by hand! Ive got a hoist you could borrow but I guess Dorset is a bit of a journey  :)

Lol , just a bit but thanks for the offer, what size wheels do you have on your westie as the mx look a bit small,having said that I have not got them on yet they might look ok !

I was lucky enough to pick up a mx5 with a set of TSW 15 x 6.5" wheels on, IIRC the standard mx5 are 14" 

I'm on the lookout for a set of 13" revolution 4 spoke wheels though ;)

15's on mine

SAM_1499_zpsf5f38412.jpg

SAM_1501_zps0374b353.jpg

14's look great as well, I am sure Mark will be along soon as he is running MX5 14's

Yes they look good don't they :)

Like I said, 14's look good too. Mark will no doubt put a photo up soon of his

• Like 1

Why do you need indicators on the arches ? Is there anywhere else you can put them ? And are they an I V A requirement