just started mazda SDV

daveq92

Lots of pics of the rear suspension in my build diary

Lots of pics of the rear suspension in my build diary

..............and it's a bl**** nice build as well!

• Like 1

..............and it's a bl**dy nice build as well!

Even nicer after it was "blink'd" :d

I hope you are taking lots of pictures, even if you are not posting them. The IVA process asks for pictures and if you have a good picture log of the build it helps the process along as it enables them to see areas that can't be easily seen once completed.

Hello everyone ,it's all come to a standstill, I was going to start stripping my doner mx last week and strip the engine but because it had a Private plate when I acquired it twelve months ago, I looked into keeping the plate as didn't want a Q, bad news as it turns out , I have to put the plate on a retension certificate and while that is being proccesed I have to keep the mx as is unless the Dvla should like to view it. "Good job I never started the strip. So all I can do is order the shocks and fit them, on a better note I had the plate valued at £875 not bad when I only paid £900 for the car. :)

do a compression test on the engine whilst you're waiting  :rolleyes:

You wouldn't have been given a Q had you left the plate on, but you would have lost the plate. My experience is if the car is SORN or out of MOT they'll want to inspect it.

Yeah I might do a compression test but regardless I am going to strip the engine,and yes Dommo I knew I would be getting an age related plate but I was more concerned with keeping the private plate.

Has anyone put a six speed box in their's and if so would anyone know if I would have to change the diff to enable the speedometer to read correct

The 6-speed gearbox is designed to work with the 3.6 and 3.9 diff (standard is 4.1 for the 1.8 engine and 4.3 for the 1.6). The gear ratios in the 6-speed are very different to that of the 5-speed so if you change the gearbox without also doing the diff first gear will be unusable, so effectively you wont be any better off for the £700 extra expense it'll cost you for the diff and box.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 6-speed gearbox, it's heavier than the 5speed and in such a light car the extra gear is uneccessy.

Thanks for the info Mark :) very quick response lol

Thanks for the info Mark :) very quick response lol

happy to help :t-up: it's something I'd looked at myself but the maths didn't stack up and there didn't appear to be any clear benifit.

If it's a better cruising gear you're looking for then the better upgrade would be to change the diff as the added benifit of doing that is that it would also give you a longer first gear.

If you're using the standard mazda instruments then a diff change would also nesesitate changing the speedo drive gear on the gearbox to one that is matched to the diff.

Hi Dave, welcome to the club. if you need general help or encouragement during your build feel free to pop along to one of our meetings. We don't have any Mazda builds but we can help with other stuff.

We meet on the first Thursday of the month, currently looking for a new meeting venue. PM me if you need more info.

regards nic

I can recommend the 3.6 diff with the 5 speed box but I would only suggest you do this with an uprated 1.8 engine

I would say....

Standard 1.6 use 5 speed with 4.3 diff

Standard 1.8 use 5 speed with 4.1 diff

Uprated 1.6 you could go to a 3.9 diff

Uprated 1.8 as I say I think the 3.6 diff works well

All in my opinion of course.

From sitting as a passenger round the track i think Mark would agree with my little "table" above. Correct me if I'm wrong old guru :d

From sitting as a passenger round the track i think Mark would agree with my little "table" above. Correct me if I'm wrong old guru :d

I'd 100% agree with that.

Just to add that I think a standard 1.6 would work equally well with a 4.1 diff simply because of the weight saving benefits of putting it in the Westfield.