New mega s2000 owner

Bow1build

nice one mate! lovely car. Been considering building a supercharged 2000 for a while- ended up with the standard s2000.

the oil pressure seems a bit low- Honda state that at 3000 revs and oil temp warm( not hot) you should have approx. 4-5 bar, and max pressure should be close to vtec engagement, but that oil pressure during engagement will drop slightly- with max pressure being approx. 6 bar.  So if you were cruising around doing 4-6000 revs you should have had more than 3 bar. I know you've sold a lot of s2000 engines so I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs- just don't want you to have any issues like I had, before the fun even starts... especially if youre going to take it on track.

what oil are you using? Honda says 10w30 is standard, a lot of boosted applications go for 10w40 or higher though, so could be a consideration with your setup.

Hi mate, I ve used 10/40 castrol edge , yes as soon as I touch the throttle the dash reads 3 bar and at idle it ranges when hot and cold but hot was 0.9 /0.7 now the digital dash does have issues where gear selections are not correct in 4 th 5 th and 6 th they change around randomly , also the speedo is fine to 80mph but once your over that it s all over the place ,so part of me thinks the race technology dash and data logger are not set up correctly , going Back to the oil cooler I do have an oil cooler so does that make a difference and also I don't think there a vtec kick as it looks like the vetc solinode not connected to the loom and only one cam sensor is connected to the loom, knock sensor s not connected to the loom , map sensor is capped off so have they just used the supercharger and no vtec engagement ?? Which would explain no massive change in oil pressure . Simon has said that the car will be collected once I hit 800 miles for all the niggles to get sorted out but the car performs perfectly so these niggles don't effect me driving the car

Knock and MAP aren't used and only one cam sensor is correct. Last time I saw it at the factory your VTEC solenoid was connected. (Just double checked on my photos). Note though only the solenoid is connected, not the VTEC assembly's pressure sender.

For those not aware, because of the angle of the engine and it's height, the standard MAP sender just doesn't quite fit under the bonnet.

only one cam sensor is used- didn't know this... Surely the vtec engagement runs as standard though right? (obviously apart from an earlier engagement)-

Id think it very strange if your vtec solenoid isn't plugged/mapped in, as this would lose you a great amount of power in the higher rev band, which is where the supercharger gets most its boost...

dave how do they replace the map sensor? wouldn't this be necessary for a decent idle?

p.s your factory engine mounts must sit higher than mine, as my map sensor fits with about 10mm room under bonnet.

oh and regarding oil pressure- Id be tempted to plug in a mechanical gauge and check it over- 0.7bar at tick over is very little.... even when the oils really hot, you should be getting 14psi which is approx. 1bar.....

and for the most part of your typical driving rev range, you should have 4-5bar, pushing near 6 if your  "on it"....     again not wanting to cause worry, as its probably down to your digidash, but before any damage "could" be done, Id check it with a reliable gauge.

Hi Dave, yes just checked your right there s one cable going towards the coil packs and the vetc pressure sender is not connected. I bought a stack pro oil temp sensor complete with 1/8 th sensor so I think I ll have it mounted on the roll cage save cutting the dash as I d like to keep an eye on the oil temp too maybe I m a bit of a worrier but it's nice to know as much as possible . Does the data logger keep that information ?

Is your's the Dash2 Pro with integral logger, or have you a separate data logger?

depending on the combination you have, there may be enough spare inputs on the system to connect the oil temp sender to the DASH2 or logger - no need for extra gauges.

a lot of the supercharged Hondas run without an oil cooler, but do say that on track the oil gets very hot....  as you've got an oil cooler, and a fair amount of airflow getting into it, I wouldn't be worried about the oil getting too hot.... the only thing I notice with a cooler (albeit mine is fairly big, with 19 rows x 235mm???I think), is that it takes up to 10minutes of driving before its really hot. So I keep it out of vtec until then.

Hi mate, I ve used 10/40 castrol edge , yes as soon as I touch the throttle the dash reads 3 bar and at idle it ranges when hot and cold but hot was 0.9 /0.7 now the digital dash does have issues where gear selections are not correct in 4 th 5 th and 6 th they change around randomly , also the speedo is fine to 80mph but once your over that it s all over the place ,so part of me thinks the race technology dash and data logger are not set up correctly , going Back to the oil cooler I do have an oil cooler so does that make a difference and also I don't think there a vtec kick as it looks like the vetc solinode not connected to the loom and only one cam sensor is connected to the loom, knock sensor s not connected to the loom , map sensor is capped off so have they just used the supercharger and no vtec engagement ?? Which would explain no massive change in oil pressure . Simon has said that the car will be collected once I hit 800 miles for all the niggles to get sorted out but the car performs perfectly so these niggles don't effect me driving the car

It sounds like the pulses are becoming too frequent for the sender to pick up or dash to count. I've got mine looking at 2 magnets on a drive shaft and it's fine above 80

• Like 1

Hi dave, my one is the dash2 with integral data logger and I did ask westfield to fit the oil temp sensor but it's not there so as the easiest option for me was to connect an extra oil temp unit in the 1/8 th sandwich plate sensor hole. Dommo - I think as the gearbox ratios are so close maybe it's getting confused ? I think the speedo sensor s on the front right wheel as I traced the cable , I m sure all the niggles will be put right when westfield collect the car. Just a quick other question what immobiliser do you all use or recommend as the insurance company have said I need a cat 2 thachham certified alarm and I need proof that I m a member of a club ? Anyone help me with this

No I won't drill the cage as I got a demon tweeke special roll cage mount to hold the stack sensor, I must say that I really don't feel a vtec kick like my S2000 but what I do get is constant power all the way up to shift light every gear with no lag at all. Speed freak- the car was tested prior to installing the supercharger by westfield where they dyno tested it and it produced exactly the same as there demo car and tested compression to as to make sure we had a healthy engine prior to installing all the charger parts and that way ruling out possible problem later on.

hi all, well put another 200 miles on the car thursday/friday and today and it was a pleasure to drive .I sorted out the oil pressure gauge by changing the sensor and i added a stack oil temperature sensor in the oil sandwich plate area as i had a 1/8 connection point there. Now running 3 bar cold , warm idle 2 bar and peak pressure when driving to the speed limit hits 4 bar at 9k rev limiter. I have to say that on these rough roads and corners etc the nitrons perform very well and i don t feel the tracking effect when overtaking over the white line as i do in the same place as the honda s2000 . one little niggle is the throttle pedal to brake petal is a little tight but with size 10 shoes maybe i should use a sleeker fitting shoe has anyone else got a similar setup and any feedback on possible fixes, it not major just me being fussy and used to these type of cars .Also added a Cat 2 immobiliser as together insurance stated that i needed one and club membership proof so had this fitted locally just a key fob type .Really enjoyed the driving and only suffered with my back when getting in and out and a few hard bumps in the road , i must say once strapped in the seats are really comfy and well worth the upgrade to the leather ones.Anyone else in the west wales area out and about tomorrow looking for a meet up maybe and do a bit of driving etc . thanks greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg.

Size 10s are a tight fit for the pedals so I always wear karting shoes. I've found a couple of Sparco types which are good but you wouldn't want to walk too far in them. I never wear normal shoes after a near miss on my drive when the throttle turned out to be covered by my braking foot!

I have size 10 feet, I could at a pinch, very carefully, drive my old car in regular shoes. Though narrow shoes/trainers or cart/race boots were much better.

The S2000 footwell, though not really that much narrower does feel quite a bit different! Not tried it in the race boots yet, but wouldn't like to try normal size shoes.