Newbie West Midlands

BenD

i dont know lol i did wonder why i wrote that after i had posted it. busy day! anyway i haev been given permission from the missus to go and order my kit i thnk i am gonna go downt the mazda route as they seem easy enough to find on ebay not far from me so looks like a winner. is it just the mk1 mazda mx5 with the pop up headlights or can other be used aswell.

Yes, Mk1 try and get a Eunos import with rear LSD (not sure how many uk models had an LSD as an option). I'd personally go for an 1800. Mine is, I think the 1600 is a little underpowered personally.

Although you can buy a Mk1 torsen LSD from eBay easy enough.

Yes, Mk1 try and get a Eunos import with rear LSD (not sure how many uk models had an LSD as an option). I'd personally go for an 1800. Mine is, I think the 1600 is a little underpowered personally.

Although you can buy a Mk1 torsen LSD from eBay easy enough.

I have a 1.8 with some engine work

There is nothing wrong with an early 115bhp 1.6 engine. Very revvy and in a Westfield the car comes in quite a lot lighter than the 1.8

any ideas what are the engine weight difference between the 1.8 and the 1.6 am i right in thinking that the 1.6 revs higher than the 1.8

My car is 30kg heavier than a 1.6 that i know is similar spec. Its not just the engine, it is the running gear, diff, brakes etc

ok thanks for the info booked my appointmnet to go to the factory this saturday so shoudl get my kit ordered

right then so ive booked my appointment to go down and sort my car out

my question is

i am going to purchase the starter kit for the mazda mx5 sdv build what things should i order with the kit on that day as i want to buy the completion kit bits seperatly and i need to order before the end of may as they still have 10% off

i have read thorugh a few other threads and main things seem to be

starter kit

powder coat chassis

powder coat suspension parts in starter kit

engine mounts

IVA Kit

and camber adjustment wishbones

is there anything else which i shoud look into getting.

I bought pretty much the same as you minus the wishbones. I didn't bother with the completion kit as I work in the motor trade and I bought everything I could from suppliers at work, from the for sale section on here or just got lucky on eBay. It was things like the radiator that is nearly £100 from Westfield or £20-30 brand new from eBay that swung it. I have also managed to buy new callipers/pad/disc/cables/all balljoints etc and get everything else for less than £3500 which is a hell of a lot less than the kit price.

I would go for the exterior side panels too. If you fit them you then have the option to not buy/fit the interior side panels. I was going to go this route until the very kind Darve sold me his. Also get a pair of fuel solid pipes as you will need them quite early in the build. 

If you need a pair of build stands i will be finished with mine very soon. In true WSCC fashion they get passed from builder to build FOC.

Like I said, my car is in Bromsgrove and has yet to have the engine fitted so a lot of the nooks and crannies are still visible. You are very welcome to come round and have a look.

Thanks

Shaun

thanks for the offer shaun i may just take you up on it at some point. are the builds stands just like axle stands. i ahev seen in another thread someone made like a wooden stand to build theirs on and i thought it was a brilliant idea so i was gonna do that

Westfield build stands are like trestles but made from box section steel; they raise the chassis up to a comfortable working height and give you access all round.

Plenty of builders have come up with their own solutions though! Paul's wooden base (on wheels) has seen a fair few builds now. At least two owners I've seen have used modified ex-hospital beds! (Again, on wheels, but have the added advantage of hydraulics to raise or lower them!)

If you do make something though, building storage space in, underneath the car is really handy, plus put wheels on it if you can, so useful being able to move it all round.

At least two owners I've seen have used modified ex-hospital beds!

now there's a thought .... could save on the chassis and just drop a V8 in the bed :d

right then went to the factory this morning ordered my kit. ordered the mazda sdv kit, powdercoating chassis and suspension parts, exterior panels, fuel lines and detatchable rear wings. i think lol with all the excitment i forgot what i ordered