Member Map - Add yourself!

dhutch

A member map has now been added to the site: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/membermap/

In order to appear on it you need to add your location to it, either manually or using you phone/computers location. It will take; areas, towns, villages, street names, half postcodes, or if you really want accuracy, full postcodes and even house numbers.

This can is effectively just a better way to display location data we have already had, but can be very useful for finding member that live near by, arranging meet ups, and the like.

Clicking on each dot will bring up the users name, clicking on the name, will take you to there profile.

Thanks

#####

Having used one on other forums, we have recent finally got around to adding 'member map' to our forum (also powered by invision software, as used by this forum) and I must say it was very easy to add and has so far been totally pain free and very well received by members.

The add-on allows users to type in a location (however vague you like) and then places a pin on this location with your username and a link to your profile. You can update this as often as you like, or remove your location, or update it using your devices location (internet details, or gps if your on a smartphone). 

Just a thought as I think it would work really well for members getting in touch with others nearby.

Locost builders has one, which I have used a few times successfully, although there's is not forum based and has to be manually updated by one of the members each time.

Daniel

Calling Scott to the ideas page.

Come on lad, get working. No rush, before midnight tonight will do.

Sounds good, think I've used one before as well. Certainly good to know who maybe in the same city as you, or not far away.

Tis a good idea - though maybe once invoked some may want to remove their location info. I'll look into it further, but the code is beta so security might be a concern.

if you could do it to the first part of the post code eg sk8 that would be good enough and still; maintain privacy

you can choose what location to put on the map and be as specific as you like. I havent yet coded it to link to existing location info.

• Like 1

Nice one Adrian :t-up: I like that :cool:

Need a step by step guide to help me! :-/

Click here: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/membermap/

Then hit the Update Location button and enter your address or postcode or town name into the field.  Then hit Save.  Job jobbed  :yes:

Alternatively, you can hit the crosshair, and then the browser will ask for your permission to determine your location.  A bit hit&miss with regards to accuracy ;)

Ok, that was quick and painless to do, thanks Adrian!

done, love it!

cheers

john