Spring diameters

Westford

I am thinking of changing shocks on my car and as it stands at the moment it has 1.9" diameter springs on the rear and 2.25" diameter on the front. My question is - what are the advantages/disadvantages of one size over the other? If I am to change shocks then for the price of the springs I could go one way or the other.

Hopefully someone will know the answer!

Many thanks,

Westford

1.9 would save a little weigh and aero drag (up front). Perhaps 2.25 can yield better damping control as there's more internal space to design the piston valves..

Also if you have widetrack front wishbones and have the need for rather heavy duty front springs then maybe the 2.25 is a better bet.

I'm sure some damping experts will spot this thread and will be able to advise you more definitively.

You need to make sure that the shocks on front and rear can  take both 1.9" and 2.25" springs before you decide. Both diameters have a wide range of lengths and poundage available

Thanks for the replies - what I really want to know is, is there any advantage of one spring size over the other?

If you go for the Protech dampers the damper bodies are now the same size for both 1.9 a 2.25 inch diameter springs - only the collars (spring seats) are different diameters so there is no advantage to be gained.

The diameter of the damper body isn't important; it is the diameter of the piston rod that makes a difference. Mono tube dampers generally have a thinker diameter piston rod than twin tube dampers and therefore displace more oil as they enter the damper body - it is the movement of oil within the damper that controls it's damping characteristics - the more oil being displaced (in general) the better the damping.

HTH