Engine fitting

Mark Bowyer

I am having a trial fit of the engine to ascertain where to drill the gear box mounts, but struggling! What is the best way of getting the engine in?

I have a suitable 1000kg lift, and have raised the front of the car slightly, but it is proving difficult to get the back end in far enough before the front end catches on the chassis.

Also, I think I know the answer here, but should the skuttle panel have been left off prior to putting the engine in?

Any advice welcome.

It is a 2.0 zetec into a new special edition by the way.

With mine an SE narrow, zetec and type 9 box all connected

I had the whole car up 12" on axle stands

I could maybe see the end of the box hitting the floor if the car was lower

It's a bit tight and I did damage a brake pipe on the front top chassis rail :(

Are you fitting the engine and box together or is the box already in place

If theyre going in as one its going to have to be quite high up to allow you to swing it in

I chucked my gearbox in,put blocks of wood to support it and then lowered the engine into place

If its a trial fit you can drop the engine in without the clutch so you dont have any hassle mating them

Ive just dripped a zetec in and theres plently of room to lower it to mett the box

My rad and ancillaries were in place aswell

• Like 1

Tried lifting the rear rather than the front, and that helped. Just need to jack up the gearbox a little to get the splines to line up.

Rhett,

thanks for the link. I have been studying your excellent build diary for a while now, and you inspired me to run my own.

www.justanotherwestfieldbuilddiary.weebly.com

Thanks.

get the box up high to start and juggle as required as it goes in, oh and remove clutch while playing about, goes in v.easy then.

Put box and engine in together. I worked outside with the front of the car (narrow low line) on ramps. I fitted the propshaft after all was mounted up. I got the gearbox in as far back as possible and then lowered it.

Hope that helps

Paul

• Like 1

Got the engine in now, thanks for the advice.

All of the engine related loom has plenty of slack to reach the engine connectors, however I have routed from the ecu plate via the left hole in the forward tunnel cover. (Gear leaver plate) Is this correct, and if not is it , ikely to cause issues further down the line?