New WSCC Trackday Guru

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Going on Trackdays is a very popular opportunity for members to enjoy their Westfield’s.

Previously as Competition Secretary I have tried to help out, but it’s not really my area of expertise these days. So together with the rest of the committee we have decided to get a WSCC Trackday Advisor to help out with recommending suitable Trackday ‘s to members and to organise the list of nominated days, where members can expect others to be there.

So who is this person you all ask, none other than Trackday Instructor Steve Hewson, who has for many year’s now run a Westfield and has always been there to help out with instruction, advice and friendly banter .

He will be along soon to introduce himself a bit more and make some suggestions for Trackdays this year.

• Like 2

Great guy and instructor

well done Steve

now where are we going must get Westie repaired!

Great news. Look forward to Steve's suggestions.

What a great idea

This club just keeps getting better :)

Morning chaps  :) .

For those who don't know me through the club trackdays or the days that I run at Oulton Park with Trackaction-Online, I'm a regular trackdayer in my Westfield and also an ARDS instructor working for a number of the larger trackday operators (TDOs).

I'm loving the idea of being a guru for anything :laugh:  but I don't think there are any radical ideas to be applied here.  Ideally I'd just like to find something like one event a month over the season that are "approved" trackdays for club members.  They would be general trackdays run by other TDOs but I'd be aiming to beat them up for a bit of discount and the larger the groups are, the easier this will be; if there's only enough interest to get decent numbers for one every couple of months then that's fine and it's what we'll do.  

Getting at least (say) ten members together to an event should give me a bit of leverage on pricing but it also makes it easier for any nervous novices out there to get involved as there will be plenty of friendly faces about and advice available.  There's also strength in numbers when it comes to minimising poor etiquette and behaviour on trackdays so lots of good reasons to try to make this work!

I think there's a fair number of trackday drivers on here but it would be really helpful to know how many there really are and how many days you tend to do, also how many owners are there out there waiting to take the plunge but not sure how/when/where to do it?

If everyone could post up and give an idea of how many trackdays you aim to do this year that would be a great start.  It doesn't matter if you only do one or two so long as you'd be interested in getting involved with doing it on one of these events; if you haven't been on track yet but want to give it a go then please shout up as well.

To all of the AOs, please let me know what kind of group you have, how many regulars, interested novices etc??

Any other suggestions would obviously be welcome, favourite tracks or anything else so long as you don't go asking for anything daft like arranging dry trackdays only  ;)

Cheers

Steve H

• Like 1

This is brilliant news. Im a novice looking to book my first track day. Id be interested in completing perhaps two or three this year. The main thing for me is not travelling to the other end of the country at first as I have no trailer. I live literally a couple of miles from donnington park so anything in this area would be great for me to start with.

I have been attending track days now for close on for ten years since Steve (Trackday Gu Who?) :laugh: introduced me to Cadwell Park Passengering in his Pug 106.

These days I attend between 6 and 10  days a year give or take.

Most with Steve and our usual group from Track Action.

I changed my track prepared 205 GTi for a Redtop Sei last year when I acquired "Big Russ's" car in April.

Looking forward to lots more fun this year.

Mike

Any other suggestions would obviously be welcome, favourite tracks or anything else so long as you don't go asking for anything daft like arranging dry trackdays only ;)

:)  I thought dry trackdays only would be a bridge too far, even for a trackday Gnu! :p

I think I did six or seven days last year, most with Steve and the Trackaction regulars.. I'll be looking for more of the same. Cadwell, Oulton, Croft, and definitely a journey north to Knockhill.. we had a cracker there last year. :cool:  Donington and Rockingham are also on my to do list, but we've got to find suitable "noisy" days. :yes:

• Like 1

Excellent Steve, really looking forward to this season.

Following my couple of days towards the end of last season, one of which was with Steve aka Trackaction at Oulton on a slippery November's day, I'm addicted!! So this year I hope to be able to do around six days :t-up:

Tracks on my wish list are Donnington, Rockingham, Anglesey, Croft, Cadwell, Oulton on a warm dry day :p, WSCC Blyton track day and would love to do a trip to the Spa.

For anybody that hasn't done a track day and is thinking of doing one then this is now a fantastic opportunity for you to break the ice. Following my couple of days last year, I can vouch that the spirit of the club via the forum extends from the keyboard to the real world, I met some great folks who were more than willing to offer advice and encouragement.

Looking forward to receiving further updates Steve.

A trackday or two is on my list for this year.

I am a complete novice apart from a couple of karting days, so will be looking for someone to hold my hand :blush:

I've only completed 1 track day at Oulton park in December,

I'm now totally hooked and would be looking at doing at least another 2 this year,

Mark