New WSCC Trackday Guru

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

Hi Steve had my westy just under a year now and getting very interested in getting it out on a track but being In Cornwall this is easier said than done. Also concerned about travelling to a circuit and finding out the car is to loud or maybe wrong tyres and the like.

I've got a db sound tester you could borrow as long as you promise to send it back :)

Did my first Track day at Hullavington, great organisers making the day very safe, track is good fun with a great mixture of corners, chicanes, straights and the knowledge if you do get it wrong there's only cones to hit; Oh except for the two concrete bases which are clearly marked and of no real danger.  Met up with some of the other regular Westy guys, really helped me out with my track day nerves, great bunch of guys :t-up:

Great news!

Late joiner to the thread having seen it a few times but only just opened it, but I would echo the above.

I did about four trackdays, two wscc events at mallory, one at snett, and a short few lapps at a pcc in the park event before slightly going of them, the cost, the noise limit issues, and getting stuck behind a GT3 round all the bends. However, I with a new silencer, a slightly better paying job, and a few more kitcars about I am very tempted.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

And a very late joiner to the thread.  New owner looking to do my first proper track days this year after doing a couple of "experience" days before.

No trailer so looking ideally for venues in the South East.

Cheers,

John

• 3 weeks later...

OK, just waking this thread up a bit to say I've finally got my act together and there's a list of suggestions HERE.

Please take a look and let me know how it looks  :t-up:

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk/ did an event at Thruxton last year - they haven't got their diary up yet for 2014 but they may do another there this year - IIRC it was low noise levels though ...

90 DB. I tested the GT  86 today which has a quiet (standard) exhaust and it blew 92DB…..

I also should say that I do 5 trackdays a year and am itching to get out there again. 

Mike

• Like 1

And a very late joiner to the thread.  New owner looking to do my first proper track days this year after doing a couple of "experience" days before.

No trailer so looking ideally for venues in the South East.

Cheers,

John

How about Woodbridge on the 12th April? You could convoy with us...

• 7 years later...

OK so a bit of a thread resurrection and to do a bit of an introduction and house keeping. 

@SteveH used to do a great coordination job on the trackday front for the club and the back office staff for the club feel it may be worth another go/experiment. 

So from myself putting my hand up earlier in the week, I will now be taking up the role of trackday coordinator/liaison/advisor for the club. 

This is not to stop/take over any of the current organised events between club members but to try and add further value to a growing group of Westfield club members. 

I will establish a single point of contact with many of the large Track day organisers and manage where possible the discount code for the club or further discount for large numbers 10+.

I would also like to try and get a couple more official club days together, but this will all depend on the members support. 

I would like to offer support to novices who would like to dip there toe into trackdays, I often see new members say general touring Westfield with a couple of trackdays a year, these are the people i would really like to help. As starting out for your first couple of day would be much easier with the support at the curcuit from other members. 

Finally I will be the contact for flags, gazebo etc to be booked in and out, that would like to be used at trackdays. 

It would be great to get some more publicity for the club at these days and hopefully adding a little more off track organisation will help. 

I will be looking at some dates of days throughout the rest of the year and start the tdo liaison over the next couple of weeks. 

There is a great core group of friendly track day goers in the club and it has been slowly growing in the last couple of years. A few more would make club only days more viable and the first bonus of that is no clio's to deal with 😁

Many thanks 

Simon. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Hi Simon

I’ve been pretty absent in recent years and I think Andy (Pugwash) has kind of stepped in a bit with suggesting a few dates but if the club are ready to give it a push again that’s great!

I don’t own a Westie any more having sold last year but I do have a new toy that isn’t a Clio so hopefully I’ll get to tag along on an event some time :-)

232A4ABD-0F58-466D-8754-BD36F0784A70.thumb.jpeg.347023d6277b86522aa4a964b2112496.jpeg

• Like 3

Thanks @SteveH

It's a funny old world because you gave me my first tuition at mallory a few years ago and not looked back since. 

Always welcome to join us and @Andrew has been doing a great job of keeping us all on track even if the weather has been suspect on a couple of occasions 😁

They always used to blame me for the weather as well 😄

• Haha 1

Well done @Simon Waterfall Syman84

Hopefully I'll be out again at some point.

All't'best

• Like 1

I bought a Westfield around a month ago with the aim of using it for road and track. I'm still working through a few "characteristics" I inherited from the previous owner but hoping to break my track day virginity in the next couple of months. 

It would be great to get some guidance on what to take along. I'm sure you guys with experience have a list of "must have" items.

Also some advice on the best track day for a novice near Telford and whether it's best to go full day or just evening to start.