Widetrack suspension

Jon Parker

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my factory provided widetrack bones: bottom are symmetrical. Top are handed. Get the top ones the wrong way round and your caster will be off!

image.png.56ddc2a1bba9de95e5f61bd84788471e.png

On 16/09/2020 at 13:29, Chris King - Webmaster said:

You can get adapter plates for the Westfield items - although I'm not sure if the adapter plates will fit the latest version of their widetrack kit.

The Westfield V3 widetrack kit requires new longer shocks.

14 minutes ago, Chris Broster - Bristol & Bath AO said:

The Westfield V3 widetrack kit requires new longer shocks.

Or the extensions I mention?

17 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Or the extensions I mention?

Yes sorry Chris, missed that! Good point.

17 minutes ago, TwinCam 20V said:

I search a widetrack kit which can i use with my Stock shocks. The e-mail Support from any customer is very bad.

Have you measured the threads on your current shocks to see if these will fit on them? They are available with 12 or 16mm threads.

image.png.a68a2e6a0c1f33bc828accac5b83463e.png

Hello,

I have special racing shocks.

Original lengh....i think the bottoms doesn't fit on my shox.

Edited by TwinCam 20V

Westfield had a deal on there wide track wishbones and being a sucker for shiny things at a bargain I bought them.. In part to try and compare them .  I did a fair amount of mesurement and analysis regarding the effect on dynamic camber and so on..    I started to write it up for an artical but lost interest..     In short technically there is no real advantage.. But most people after fitting them, fitted new dampers, have a new bushes and had a full Geo setup say there car is much better.

!!!!!..      For me the big plus is the steering lock which is lovely, and I think wide track looks good :).

Role stiffness is vertically  the same although the dampers and springs are at a greater angle so loosing effective wheel rate this is neutralised  by the increased track width.

There’s less dynamic camber change on wide track, to be honest I could not really say if that’s better or not as it’s such a broad statement, and could be argued either way.

Simply  fitting a rear damper on the front Is such a bad idea... A damper properly tuned for ~175 -225Lbs/inch springs and a motion ratio of close to 1:1 isn’t tuned right for a system runnng 300-375Lbs/springs on a ~3:4 motion ratio.  Also the lengths are all wrong..   

Standard track front end has enough suspension travel and people with low sumps can hit the ground enough.   Rear dampers on the front, have more stroke and are a little more onboard allowing lots more wheel travel, allowing the car to go down further before the bumpstops work.    I built specific dampers for the job to keep the sump off the ground and stiffness to match the springs.  It has to be taken Into account with wide track Since it’s available from various sources and designs not all wide tracks are the same.. for instance Rally designs ones take standard damper lengths.. 

And finally if your dampers need inverting unless they are Monotubes or specifically built to order to run inverted.. don’t do it.    It’s like turning your engine upside down, the sump and pickup are the wrong end of the damper!!!!   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TwinCam 20V said:

Hello

Last question ...

I can use my stock shocks with the rallydesign wide track kit, right?!?!

Yes that’s my understanding.