Widetrack suspension

Jon Parker

Why with wide track suspension do the standard shocks have to be put on upside down?

Westfield told me to put them on upside down and the picture on their online store shows them upside down.

Some shocks can be run upside down, the Nitrons that WF supply for instance. (But the dampers have to be designed to run like that, or you will damage them).

The advantage in general, is lowering unsprung weight. The "heavy" part, ie the damper body with valves etc is on the sprung chassis end, and the lighter piston/rod end is at the unsprung "wheel" side.

That said, some models of Westfield run with them upside down for a rather more down to earth reason; clearance. The cars running the in-board front anti roll bar tend to need all the extra clearance they can get, turning the dampers the "wrong" way up helps.

• Like 1

Note, thread trimmed as it's in the FAQ section  ;) 

I am all new to these Westfields, I am going to use my car, 70% road and 30% on track, is it worth me going wide track, as Westfield have a offer on at £300 for wide track front end???? , my car is a Seight euro v8 3.9 injection, thanks for all your advice Paul 

I am all new to these Westfields, I am going to use my car, 70% road and 30% on track, is it worth me going wide track, as Westfield have a offer on at £300 for wide track front end? ??? , my car is a Seight euro v8 3.9 injection, thanks for all your advice Paul 

Worth it? I've no idea, although does give more steering lock.   I'm changing to wide track soon, just for something to fiddle around with this dark winter.

I converted to wide track and very pleased that I did. Gives a better feel on the road and a big improvement on track. There are others on here much more able to tell you why but you won't regret the conversion!

• Like 1

Just to add a bit of Controversy;

Richard (who's opinion I value very much and is quite a handy driver) actually prefers the feel of a Westfield with the narrow track front suspension and he has driven countless number of Westfields over the years with all types of suspension fitted. (Quite handy if you are planning fitting Clamshells ??)

I don't agree with him though! :laugh:

The biggest advantage for me (following BLiNK fitting fast rack, old one had fixed lock stops) is better turning circle.

• 4 years later...

Found with mine that it dialled out the last of the understeer on turn in. Car is very neutral now.

Would not go back to standard track. Really like the wide track for my driving style.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

i would like to install a widetrack wishbone set too.

Anyone...where can a buy a kit, which i can use with my

coilovers from the stock wishbones?

Thank´s for any answers...

TwinCam 2.0

There are three suppliers (that I know of) - Westfield, Siltech and Rally Design. 

Of those, I think only Rally Design will fit with the standard track length shocks "out of the box". They have been occasionally known to bend due to the lower shock mount position though!

You can get adapter plates for the Westfield items - although I'm not sure if the adapter plates will fit the latest version of their widetrack kit.

Also, if you happen to have Protech shocks, then you can get extended top shock mounts (for not a lot of money).

So it is possible to use existing shocks with the Westfield widetrack too.

I have no knowledge of the SIltech set up - so can't advise on fitment - but they do tend to produce high quality items.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2013 at 12:11, BLiNK Motorsport said:

Just to add a bit of Controversy;

Richard (who's opinion I value very much and is quite a handy driver) actually prefers the feel of a Westfield with the narrow track front suspension and he has driven countless number of Westfields over the years with all types of suspension fitted. (Quite handy if you are planning fitting Clamshells ??)

I don't agree with him though! :laugh:

👍