Half or Full cage

Hellski

Just wondered what folks opinion was of the Half cage now available from Westfield?

I appreciate that the half cage potentially only gives you half the protection of the full but it looks to be more sturdy than the current RAC roll bar fitted to my Westfield??

My concern with the RAC bar is that the struts which are bolted to the roll bar would shear under stress being a potential weakness???

I'm not technically minded with regards to the strengths of metals and bolts so would appreciate your thoughts?

After doing a couple of track days this year, I'm now addicted and plan to do a lot more next year, along with maybe entering  a couple of speed series events next season, well with living only a few miles from Prescott it would be rude not too :t-up:

• Like 1

As an aside, I assume one is easier to live with than the other on a day to day basis regarding ingress and egress?

Hellski I have an RAC roil bar and its great, have thought about a cage but not yet gone for it.  there is lots of opinion on this but I dont like the idea of lots of metal near my head to bang into during a shunt on the road…. i doth wear a helmet on the road and feel safe with what ive got. more protection has to be good i suppose but I have heard of collision injuries where cage style protection in trials has caused more severe injuries of a non-life threatening sort.. does that make sense??  

As an aside, I assume one is easier to live with than the other on a day to day basis regarding ingress and egress?

This is a valid point and something I have often thought about and again would appreciate feed back from those that have experienced both?

Hellski I have an RAC roil bar and its great, have thought about a cage but not yet gone for it.  there is lots of opinion on this but I dont like the idea of lots of metal near my head to bang into during a shunt on the road…. i doth wear a helmet on the road and feel safe with what ive got. more protection has to be good i suppose but I have heard of collision injuries where cage style protection in trials has caused more severe injuries of a non-life threatening sort.. does that make sense??  

Perfect sense James.  I too have the RAC roll bar but I do have concerns to the strength of the bolts on the struts but then I suppose the same could be said for the weld on the half cage???

I just bought a Caged roll bar similar to the new Westfield MSA.

I consider this is the best option for me at the moment as I'm mostly using my car on the road. I had the RAC bar but being used to legend race cars & other racers in my old workshop it just looked old 80s style and spindly hence my upgrade. The first Westfield I saw had a Playskool rollbar so that probably influenced me too.

Saying that the RAC bar is far superior to the standard one!

If you're worried you'll snap one of the supports, take 15 minutes to reassure yourself by removing one of them. Once it's in your hands, technically minded or not you'll appreciate it's not going to snap until a lot of other destruction has taken place. It's a staggeringly solid piece of metal, far beefier than any other tube in the chassis. 

IMHO of course.

Ben

• Like 1

If you're worried you'll snap one of the supports, take 15 minutes to reassure yourself by removing one of them. Once it's in your hands, technically minded or not you'll appreciate it's not going to snap until a lot of other destruction has taken place. It's a staggeringly solid piece of metal, far beefier than any other tube in the chassis. 

IMHO of course.

Ben

Thank you for your input Ben and I have no doubt of the strength of the strut, my concern is with the bolt in which is used between the strut and the roll bar??

Thank you for your input Ben and I have no doubt of the strength of the strut, my concern is with the bolt in which is used between the strut and the roll bar??

i forget the size of the bolts used, but if you look at the cross sectional area of metal in the bolts and compare it to either the chassis or even the roll bar tubing itself, the bolt will shear after the tubes not before them :)
  • Like 1

i forget the size of the bolts used, but if you look at the cross sectional area of metal in the bolts and compare it to either the chassis or even the roll bar tubing itself, the bolt will shear after the tubes not before them :)

Thank you Mark :yes:

As Colin Chapman is meant to have remarked that you could hang a double Decker bus of a 6mm bolt. The single sheer strength of a 7/16 grade 8 fastner will be well over 13,000 lbs so I think it is fare to say that the double sheer modes of the rollcage will be alright.

• Like 1

For me the benefit of a cage is the a pillar protection if you go off into a fence or railing. Aero screen offers no forward protection and a screen very little.

I think rac probably fine for rollover

• Like 1

I agree with XTR, a full cage does give far better protection from an impact in many different directions, where as the Roll Over Bar does just that, saves you in a roll over. As with any decision its a personal decision based on how you are going to use the car and perceived risk in doing so. If you are Racing then full cage, Sprinting / Hillclimbing Roll bar, but cage recommended. TrackDays - Up to you ?, Road only - Roll Bar, although some would say full cage in case a big truck hits you !!

• Like 1

Trust me bolt in is fine, I've been over with a bolt in half cage and they work.

Also as David quite rightly points out the protection from the front pillar is invaluable in a roll over, I dread to think how I would have faired in my accident with just an RAC roll bar & screen or aero screen, I doubt very much I'd of walked away as I did with a full cage. Just my opinion though 

• Like 1

For me the benefit of a cage is the a pillar protection if you go off into a fence or railing. Aero screen offers no forward protection and a screen very little. I think rac probably fine for rollover

That's my way of thinking with the RAC bar I feel very exposed without the wind screen and unlike a motorbike you can't stop and let the vehicle carry on you become the jam in the sandwich

I'm looking at cage options for this winter

Thanks guys, fantastic useful info and plenty to consider, just the input I was after and hopefully this thread will help others who are in a similar position. :t-up: