High spec dry-sumped Vauxhall C20XE complete package, now breaking...

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

I'll watch with interest, very strong, successful engines, fantastic power delivery and very balanced.

It would be a shame to split this lot up, this is a fantastic package. :t-up:  :t-up:

If I had the readies it would make a fantastic spare engine. I know what you mean Dave I too would be gutted to split mine. All the stress sweat and emotion that go into building an engine then seeing it fire for the first time.

Throw a few years (five or six!) development in cooling it too, and setting it up so that it's a nunney cat in traffic and an animal when you need it to be.

It's not at all highly strung. Have sat in stop start traffic jams on the way back from shows and events, some in the hottest of hot weather that we've had in recent years and it just takes it in its stride.

(Incidentally, while the Radtec radiator and fan won't be for sale, I'm more than happy to detail the complete system and give guidance for any "package buyer" to replicate.

I have witnessed the ferocity of this potent power plant! It's seriously well sorted and stunningly quick

Shame to break the Westie but totally understand your reasons

The purchaser of this engine will most definitely be blown away with such a sorted motor

Good luck Dave

Agreed Greenstreak- have had the privilege of a passenger ride in this car. Its an awesome piece of kit

Pm about parts replied to. Won't be breaking it till I'm positive no one wants the running package.

Mind you, if someone wanted the engine part of the package, but not all the peripherals, say, engine plus exhaust, but not dry sump. Or some other combination, then drop me a pm and we can perhaps work something out.

Have a spare block, coil pack, crank sensor and some other bits and pieces that will go with the complete package. (Been sorting out some stuff!)

• 3 weeks later...

OK, a few pm's and emails over the last week regarding just the bare engine, ie no exhaust, no throttle-bodies/engine management, no dry sump system etc. So I'll post a snippet of the reply here:

"Price for the "short engine"

ie:

Bottom End

Block, 1990/91 Over-bored for 87.5 mm pistons, giving 2069 cc displacement.

Crank, late 'eighties "early" type - this is generally preferred in higher spec engines as it's lighter, better shaped and better finished.

Heavy duty ACL main bearings fitted

Heavy duty ARP main bearing bolts.

Redline Steel con rods, installed with heavy duty big end bearings and ARP2000 big end bolts. (These are the higher performance versions of ARP's own heavy duty bolts).

Omega high compression 87.5mm pistons.

New cam belt pulleys and cam belt installed at last refresh, cam belt back plate removed.

Water pump replaced when engine originally rebuilt.

Standard oil pump fitted in-lieu of dry sump system.

NO SUMP

NO BLOCK BREATHER PIPE

includes spare block

Starter Motor

Top End

Head, 1991, v. lightly ported and polished. Central oilway sleeved and waterways treated with ceramic coating system to prevent porosity.

QED Race springs, (twins) fitted.

Titanium valve spring retainers fitted.

Lightweight steel one piece tappets (non-hydraulic) shimmed and fitted.

QED Q450V cams installed.

Alloy vernier cam pulleys fitted.

Cam cover re-powder coated, (non-dry sump version, with JIC breather connection and filler cap).

Priced without the dry sump system, I'd have normally asked £2500, but as you would need to source a wet sump and a breather pipe assembly for the block, I'd knock £250 off and you could have it for £2250."

I agree, seems a crying shame to split...

But there you go. It's been a highly, highly popular spec for XE's over the years, as it's such a drivable, usable, package on the road. Other than the slightly faster than oem idle, (1100 rpm) and a sound like the Gods getting angry when you press the loud pedal, round town and in traffic you really wouldn't believe how docile and tractable these engines can be. But that's the superb torque for you.

...And then you pass the 4000 rpm barrier and the world slows down most reassuringly. A following Westfield driver once told me, after watching me overtake another seven type car, that my car just doesn't look like it's accelerating it just seems to get from behind to ahead, with nothing in the middle!

OK, a few pm's and emails over the last week regarding just the bare engine, ie no exhaust, no throttle-bodies/engine management, no dry sump system etc. So I'll post a snippet of the reply here:

"Price for the "short engine"

ie:

Bottom End

Block, 1990/91 Over-bored for 87.5 mm pistons, giving 2069 cc displacement.

Crank, late 'eighties "early" type - this is generally preferred in higher spec engines as it's lighter, better shaped and better finished.

Heavy duty ACL main bearings fitted

Heavy duty ARP main bearing bolts.

Redline Steel con rods, installed with heavy duty big end bearings and ARP2000 big end bolts. (These are the higher performance versions of ARP's own heavy duty bolts).

Omega high compression 87.5mm pistons.

New cam belt pulleys and cam belt installed at last refresh, cam belt back plate removed.

Water pump replaced when engine originally rebuilt.

Standard oil pump fitted in-lieu of dry sump system.

NO SUMP

NO BLOCK BREATHER PIPE

includes spare block.

Starter Motor

Top End

Head, 1991, v. lightly ported and polished. Central oilway sleeved and waterways treated with ceramic coating system to prevent porosity.

QED Race springs, (twins) fitted.

Titanium valve spring retainers fitted.

Lightweight steel one piece tappets (non-hydraulic) shimmed and fitted.

QED Q450V cams installed.

Alloy vernier cam pulleys fitted.

Cam cover re-powder coated, (non-dry sump version, with JIC breather connection and filler cap).

Priced without the dry sump system, I'd have normally asked £2500, but as you would need to source a wet sump and a breather pipe assembly for the block, I'd knock £250 off and you could have it for £2250."

blummin bargain 

Block and head, in fact all the items listed. I have a spare oil pump which I would fit, to convert it back to wet sump operation. I have a spare cam cover with the right parts on for wet sump operation. These would both be included.

I do not have a wet sump pan, you would need to source one. I do not have the breather/dipstick tube assembly and dipstick. Again, you would need to source one. (Ebay has one here for example).

This is the complete engine.

You would then need to add either carbs or throttle bodies, an exhaust, alternator plus mount, flywheel (though I might have an old tatty Vauxhall one, you could have for free), plus clutch.

Of course, you could buy the complete package as listed on the first page for about £6500! All you would need then is a suitable bell housing and it's ready to fit into a car and go!

i'll speak to my buddy and buzz you later Dave - looking at building a chassis up with a friend for not next year the year after - just not sure which way to go engine wise. 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.