nyvlem

Can some one give me there opinion. I am thinking of fitting 7" wide rims to my westfield, it was suggested I fit 6" fronts and 7" rears as I will be using it for track days.

What does anyone think, Thanks for your help

SelfMadeTramp

Best to keep the same size rims front and back as you can swap them around on the car to even out the wear from track and road use. You will need to decide what size tyres you want to use as if you can put those tyres on 6 inch rims all round you will save some un-sprung weight over the 7 inchers. The advantage with skinny tyres is that they will heat up quicker but aesthetically they can sometimes get a bit lost in the generous rear arches of a Westie if they are too small. If you have a torquey engine then skinny rears are a disadvantage. I have a Megablade so torque isn't an issue...... but I have 185's all round which is a good compromise, there is plenty of grip when you need it but you can still slide them if you try hard enough! I also use a soft compound tyre so they heat up quickly enough anyway.

Another thought, you will need to use an online calculator to make sure that the diameter/circumference of the tyres stays broadly the same or you will change your gear ratios and speedo readings etc. Also some tyres that you may want will not be available in the sizes you need so tyre choice needs to be considered along with wheel sizes and the effects that these will have on your car, 65 profile tyres are much less common than 60 or 70 for instance. If you are doing track days then 70 profile will give you the option of cheap slicks. The lower the profile the firmer the ride for road use too. 

Hope that helps, cheers. 

Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary

Tyre width may depend on your engine and weight as well as main use

205x60x13 will fit nicely on 7" rims

Careful that you get the correct offsets

SootySport

7" wheels easily fit the arches front and back. It's the sprint guys who use narrower wheels at the front so they heat the tyres quicker, this is not an issue on road and trackday cars.

At present 15" x 7" rims with 195/55/15 tyres or 13" X 7" with 205/60/13 are the most popular.

fatbaldbloke

I've run 6" with 185/60x13's on the front and 7" with 205/60x13's on the rear on both my WF's. 

I have done much research into this and I now run 7 wheels all round with 195 fronts and 205 rears. The balance is perfect.

I have 14 wheels at the mo.!.

I measured them all recently and found that they were in fact all the same size!

7x15s - all with an offset of ET35

I use spacers on the rear (5or6 mm) and longer studs..

So they can indeed be rotated around the car..

• Like 1