Dave just wondering about the info you have about the DRL's 

Mine are wired to the ignition and dim when they go to side lights but not indicators 

you've got me worried now so been going through the IVA manual and I can't find anything saying..........

.....However, one thing that is unambiguous in the iVA manual, is that if the indicators are within 400mm of the DRLs, then the respective DRL is supposed to turn off while that indicator is operating. To be fair, as I plan on using the DRL's this does make the indicators much more obvious, so it's one of those safety things I'm quite happy to go along with on a road car.

Can you send me a link to this or let me know what page of the IVA manual it's on ?

cheers 

Phil

I have only just thought that you're building outside.. :o

Its cold in my garage but hats off to you and your blue fingers.

• Like 1

Bit of a photo free weekend this time, but a few jobs bottomed out; wiring finally finished/secured under the scuttle and dash wired in on Saturday. Sunday Morning I got a chance to final fit the tunnel carpet - now all fixed down, fit the harnesses now the replacement lower sections have arrived from Luke, which meant the seats could have their final fit!

After a late lunch, I then spent most of the rest of the afternoon fitting the scuttle, and fixing the dash in place! Sounds simple till you realise how full my scuttle is, and that I've used the contour dash, which has a recessed switch and dial section robbing even more space, oh and the Stack gauges are deeper, or at least their mounting brackets are than VDO.

It took a lot of shoehorning and tweaking loom positions, but finally it's on and bolted down! I just temporarily placed the screen back on for the moment, I'd prefer daylight to align that one before I silicon it, a job for next weekend...

So the last half hour I had tonight, I made a start refitting all the plumbing that had been only test fit, so far. 

A good weekends progress, even if some things just look like they did during the retest fit phase! The difference is now they're wired in, (or plumbed in), and work!

• Like 2

Thanks Si, yes it's getting very close to being drivable now!

Yes Andy, after the plumbing is connected, once the screen is on finally and the boot box/RAC back stays in place I'm going to apply.

Hi Dave,

Good to hear your car running, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

Quick question when you bought your ST700 dash did you have to buy the loom that connects to the dash for the pressure/temp sensors separately?

Just received my dash and I only have the connection for the engine speed, wheel speed, etc.  The one I'm missing is another £135!

Thanks

Mark

Correct, its the Analogue inputs loom. And as per my bit above, you may need the extension cables to the sensors themselves. (I can give you the pin outs as metered, but test that the wire you use works with the dash before finalising any wiring. I refuse to believe it's not possible to make replacement extensions, it might just take a bit of experimentation!)

Thanks Dave,

I feared that it was an optional extra!

I have the pin outs (at least what's shown in the ST700 manual) but may just bite the bullet and get the genuine item to avoid any issues.

Well, a bit of an unproductive weekend this week, I just hope it wasn't an expensive one.

All started OK on Saturday, torqued up the rear hub nuts and carefully peened in the lock t.abs over to stop them coming undone.

Then I could sort out the plumbing - ant get the cooling system filled. (I'll cover the plumbing properly in a follow up post when I've had a chance to download the photos from the camera).

'Cause it's at the filling stage where it all started to go wrong!

As ever with a coolant fill, I like to part fill, start the engine, then continue gradually filling till the stat opens, continually checking the level, and topping up as necessary.

The engine has already run for three short bursts so far, so no issues expected. 

So, I mixed up plenty of coolant, added three or four litres, started up, and topped it off. All going well, untill suddenly, there's a slight stutter and a sudden change of engine note. Doesn't exactly sound like its missing, but feels like it, definitely down on power, and suddenly won't rev, now it is quite old fuel, which can run a little fluffily sometimes, but normally clears very quickly, so I give it a moment or two longer. And then as I'm reaching to cut the engine, as it really feels like it's just on two cylinders now, I spot the cat. The cooler spots are bight orange, the warmer spots moving through yellow, and the hottest spots, frankly look see-through! It's like looking at a fiery X-ray...

By the time Id thought to take a picture, the engine had been stopped for two minutes or so.

IMG_2812.JPG

The funny thing was, although sounding odd, it never sounded entirely like it was just on two cylinders, but a quick re-start showed that a. Exhaust manifold runs for cylinder 1 and 4 weren't getting properly hot, and b. Within  seconds, the cat was starting to glow. So engine cut and left it to cool down.

Fast forward to this morning. My suspicion, confirmed in a Facebook chat with Russ,  was un burnt fuel lighting off in the cat. So ignition components were the first culprit to check. Also, cylinder 1 & 4 on the Honda's Omex ecu are one ignition driver, while 2 & 3 are on the second driver. (It runs wasted spark, with coil-on-plug instead of a single coil pack).

So my plan was to start with a continuity test between the COP connectors at the spark plug end and the ecu.

I never got that far, as dropping the ecu flap and staring at the ecu connector, trying to remember how it latched, I spotted a wire that looked wrong - the sealing boot, to far up in the plug! A purple wire. In fact the very purple wire that is the switched ground for cylinder 1 & 4's COP's. While disconnecting the ecu, it came right out of the ecu connector.

Here you can see it, centre of shot, the purple wire, with green rubber sealing boot and no terminal on the end.

IMG_2814.JPG

And another shot.

IMG_2815.JPG

I've tested, checked or assembled so many cables in my career I knew full well what I'd find when I finally extracted the crimp on terminal from the ecu plug. I'm afraid  to say Omex were not popular round here this morning is something of an understatement!

So, here's the terminal that should have been on that purple wire.

IMG_2817.JPG

Now, to be fair, the two vertical bits of the crimp, I've straightened out ready to reuse. They're the parts that fold over the cables insulator and grip it, to give some strain relief to the terminal. The flat box shaped section to the left is the bit that should be crimped to the copper itself. This bit wasn't even gripping the purple wire, you could slide it right on and off. It just gave electrical, contact where it touched.

Additionally, I wasn't happy with how short the purple wire had been cut - just enough to put a little extra stress on the joint.

So to avoid a vibration induced stress fracture or similar in the future, I decided to add a short wire tale to the crimp, which would then have to be soldered and heat shrunk on to the original loom wire.

IMG_2818.JPG

Here we go (taped down, while I tinned the other end), even though the wire I used was a slightly heavier gauge, it still slid straight into the terminal! Crimped properly this time, it's nice and solid.

So now it just needed soldering to the purple wire. Unfortunately, to do a proper job, that meant removing the windscreen, disconnecting the connecting hoses and taking the scuttle off. Omex's ears were well and truly burning at this stage.

Too p'd off and too short of time, 'frail the pictures stop there! I spent the rest of the afternoon, refitting the scuttle, windscreen and hoses. Followed by refilling the cooling system, this time with the engine running fine, no glowing cats, and successfully up to temperature.

My main worry now, is whether the cat has survived in any meaningful way. I suspect that as soon as the IVA forms go off, I'll be booking an MOT so that I can get the car on the local,garages tester.

But if someone else's rookie wiring/terminating mistake has cost me a cat, I shall not be a happy bunny! 

Ouch, good find Dave. In someways better to find now rather than it to occur at full chat!

What a pain Dave - glad you managed to find the culprit. I'm planning my wiring and plumbing next, so can imagine how hard it can be to track down the gremlins!

If I may digress though - you say 'take for an MOT' - I didn't realise you could do this pre-IVA. So does this mean I can get my local friendly garage to check my emissions etc (and have a quick blat up the road)?