Garage Improvements & Ideas.

Paulm3

Hi Guys,

Since owning my westy, this is the frirst time I've ever used it for a car not junk etc!

Its a single garage, on a new build estate so not massive. I've cleaned it totally out and have just a few bits left in there till I have my shed in the garden I'm just waiting to be delivered.

My list of things to do so far to make it into a little workshop are:-

• Windproof around garage door (2cm gaps all way around) possibly insulate.
  • Paint floor - Ronseal diamond floor paint stuff gets good reviews.
  • Paint walls (Breeze block) - Going to use white masonry paint, any other ideas or better to use? To brighten it up
  • Have already put a floor in on the beams to store stuff above, and that has helped keep the heat in too.
  • Get a tool chest for all my tools and build a small workbench on the far wall.
  • I've added additional lighting in already.

Anything else you'd recommend? (Or show me some pics to inspire me?) :)

Thanks

Fridge complete with beers and girly calander on wall. lol

Sorry for not being constructive but the only things that sprung to mind, just shows Eh!

Terry

Already have a stella fridge in the corner I got from the pub that closed down by my parents house :) that's being moved into the kitchen to the delight of my o/h ;)

A radio

Plenty of plug sockets - one by the door comes on handy

Bench grinder

Pillar drill

Vice

Wood battens around the walls and lots of brackets and hooks. Hang everthing on the walls rather than leave them on floor.

I've even hung axle stands on the walls.

a bed :laugh:

Ive got a TV in mine :d

Compressor are so handy too

I painted my floor with a ceiling roller, tip some paint on floor then spread it with the roller, no need to crawl around ;)

I wouldn't bother with masonry paint...I used normal cheapo emulsion on mine (new build breeze block) with a masonry roller.

Granted I used almost 3 tubs of the stuff but at a tenner a pop I just slapped it on and saved a fortune compared to buying proper masonry paint.

Still perfect over a year later.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited to add...I chose not to paint my floor and instead put down carpet tiles.  Cost less than the paint, and if I spill etc I can just replace tiles.  Nice and cosy to ;)

Old computer/monitor/speakers can be handy, both for music in the background and for access to the Boardroom and other technical resources while you're working on the car. - I used to hate not having paper copies of the workshop manuals, but then I suddenly twigged how handy it was to be able to zoom in on drawings and photos etc.

I've put couple of wooden beams across width just above head crunching height. Made up slatted movable shelves on top giving versatile extra storage.

Patience, for painting the bl**** walls. I'm moving house shortly and will give spraying the walls a go next time rather than brushing or rolling.

A radio is a must have, and a small heater will make winter tinkering that much more enjoyable. Then as much shelving and wall storage mechanisms as you can manage - its amazing how much stuff you start stockpiling in the man cave.

I'm liking the idea of a dedicated garage laptop for mine...

Ben