Vauxhall X22XE crank and block (for C23XE conversion!)

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

A change of plan and going Honda power means that I'm no longer going to build the hybrid "C23XE" engine I'd originally planned to replace the current C20XE with.

For those that don't know, the nnXE family of Vauxhall engines from thy late eighties through to the nineties contained many common parts, and so have a degree of interchangeability.

The C23XE is (very loosely) a combination of the excellent Cosworth original design 16 Valve cylinder head from the classic C20XE along with low line wet sump - or I'd planned to use my existing dry sump. With an X22XE block and crank. This is the 2.2 litre block used in the nineties in early Fronteras and Sintras, it can be bored out to take C20XE 88mm pistons, and thus becomes a 2.3 litre engine!

For sale here is the incredibly rare now X22XE block and crank. (Note this is a proper XE, not the later, less desirable balancer shaft equipped ZE).

The block has had all oil way bungs and core plugs removed and been cleaned up. The block itself has been de-seemed and de-bossed. Retaining only rear wheel drive engine mounts, off side alternator mounts, and near side dry sump mounts, the front lower nearside corner of the block has also been clearanced to allow fitment of a Pace DS pump. (Though will happily take a wet sump still). 

It's then been painted, jobs on the block still to do were boring out to 88mm and I was going to get it decked to tidy it up.

The crank has simply been cleaned and had the timing disk removed. (I was undecided on whether to swap to a steel hybrid crank from JRE, this would have allowed me it use my existing flywheel and clutch).

The block is collection only I'm afraid, due to the weight. £75 and it's yours! (Took me over a year to find this one...)

Some pics:

IMAGE_12.jpg

IMAGE_10.jpg

IMAGE_16.jpg

IMAGE_17.jpg

And one last one...

IMAGE_14.jpg

Forgot to add,Theres a water pump too, which seems OK, so have thrown in.

Please note, the crank is only assembled in the block loosely to keep it safe.

Oh go on, you know you wanna!

(The Irish rally boys love em, though you don't hear so much about the C23XE nowadays. JRE eve do C24XE and C25XE variants  :o )

incidentally, if anyone fancies taking this on as a  project but isn't sure what parts they need, or from where, I'm more than happy to share the research I did.

And a reply with some detail...

And sold...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.