The XI has landed

Si Richards

Si Richards

The day I have been waiting for, also known as the longest 10 weeks of my life has finally arrived and yesterday I had the exciting trip upto Westfield.

However I have made a school boy error and am no doubt the only person in the world to ever do this which is slightly embarrassing. One of the extra options available when ordering the kit is for "Polished Bodywork" which I read and believed to be to prep the GRP flawlessly for spraying but it turned out that was not it all :blush:  :arse:  :blush:  :arse: !!!!! Having had 2 Westy's in the family already, I assumed that the standard finish would be as per the usual Westfield Seven but as standard and apparently how they have always been, the bodywork comes fitted but with all of the mould marks scratches and other heart stopping imperfections. I nearly had a heart attack when I walked in and saw the state of the GRP but after much discussion about how poorly worded the options sheet is and how no one had questioned or thought to mention that it wasn't going to be finished at all we got the Westy loaded. Adrian from Westfield helped with everything and I have to say if it wasn't for his helpfulness and customer service skills I would have probably been a jibbering wreck on the floor either that or I would have lamped my sales assistant!!!!!! I am still struggling to understand why the Eleven is different to the Seven in this respect but I guess the old saying never assume cause it makes an ASS out of U and ME was invented for moments like this.

Other than this minor dangler up the pick up went really well, we even got it loaded and unloaded without getting rained on which was a bonus.

Pictures and an update will be on my build site very soon.

Cheers Si

Nick Algar

Hi Si,

I know what you mean as the XI i have got has the same bodywork on the part built kit I recently picked up. I think the reason is that the currently very low numbers of cars made just would not make it worthwhile to spend the time & money on getting new moulds made that would be to the usual Westfield standard. Particularly with the big join line on the rear mould which is necessary to get it out of the mould at all.

The good news however is that with lots of elbow grease and the right materials it is possible to get a very good finish from fibreglass, not sure I am looking forward much to the application of the elbow grease, but needs must. It will be interesting to see which of us gets to that stage first :d :D

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Great day Si, looking forward to seeing this new phase of the build!

Norman Verona

So, what is "Polished Bodywork".

Nick Algar

So, what is "Polished Bodywork".

It's where the factory has had someone apply loads of elbow grease to sand down and then polish the bodywork to the usual Westfield bodywork standard. It's probably a couple of day job at least depending on how fussy you want to be !!

Norman Verona

Nick, that's what I assumed. However it reads as if Si had ordered the option but the body was still "raw".

Si, it sounds as if your car's bodywork was in a far worse state than mine on delivery - although that was a few years ago when they first started remaking the Eleven. I had no options on the bodywork (either than club- or le mans-style rear clam) and certainly nothing about polished bodywork. Mine did need a bit of work but nothing beyond a few hours with an orbital polisher.

Good luck with the build - I'll be following your progress.

B

Si Richards

Evening chaps I started work today on the suspension, not a huge amount done but am loving every minute of it. I plan on noting and perhaps enlarging the detail of the Build Manual as I go, being a serious amateur it is sparse to say the least (apologies if any one here has written it as I believe Westfield didn't do it themselves) so for future beginners like me hopefully it will assist them. I have been using my dads Seven Build manual for extra reference and am already getting into the swing of it.

Some pics and an update on my build site.

The Bodywork was a proper shock but Brian and Dave you have made me feel a little more confident about it so fingers crossed I can get it looking beautiful, if not I have a friend who has a paint shop so that will be my back up plan.

Cheers Si

Si, the original 'build manual' was a parts manifest followed by 4 pages showing how to modify the steering column and prop shaft. Beyond that, you were on your own!

Manik Technologies (the us importer for the Eleven) have produced a build manual which seems far more comprehensive so it may be worth getting in touch to see if they could supply a copy.

(Edit) in fact you can buy their manual on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419644173?tag=maniktechnolo-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1419644173&adid=1NNTE19D82HTN5TWPZX9&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.manikllc.com%2Fbooks.html

Scott Young

With the only problem on the above being you might "tire" of the US spelling of certain words and the "colors" might be different... :d

Nick Algar

Si, the original 'build manual' was a parts manifest followed by 4 pages showing how to modify the steering column and prop shaft. Beyond that, you were on your own!

Manik Technologies (the us importer for the Eleven) have produced a build manual which seems far more comprehensive so it may be worth getting in touch to see if they could supply a copy.

(Edit) in fact you can buy their manual on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419644173?tag=maniktechnolo-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1419644173&adid=1NNTE19D82HTN5TWPZX9&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.manikllc.com%2Fbooks.html

Brian is that a 124 page one ? as I downloaded one free from a site, can't remember where from but PM me if you want a look.

Nick - it was certainly 100 pages plus. 

I think Manic also supply a DVD but don't know what that has on it.

Brian

Si Richards

Brian the manual is certainly better than your one by the sounds of things but I would love a little more detail.

Nick PM sent.

As usual guys thanks for all the help, I didn't realise there was a more comprehensive manual around.

Cheers Si

Come on Si - I'll have to go and buy the Sunday papers if there isn't an update soon!
I hope the build is going well.