Soft top

benc

Thanks jen definitely worth a look.

Mine was based on the loom so wiring was easy. I will have an investigation of "if it will fit". Yours look closer to the centre than mine.

Paul

Contrary to what some have said here, a roof will fit with the RAC roll bar, the frame just needs slight adjustment.

Id also concur with the roof security at speed being perfectly dependable. I once did a high speed run at an air field and purposely put the roof on to enhance aerodynamics - it was still on at 115mph.

id respectfully suggest those who don't get on with the roof haven't got the body shape, or technique to get in with the roof on. I'm 6ft and 12 stone but you may have a squeeze getting in elegantly if you're much bigger than this.

Personally I think a roof is invaluable for getting the most out of a westy in British weather. I don't use it much, but when I do, its absence would probably have been a show stopper.

Ben

I'm 6"1' and considerably more than 12 stone, true, I use a removable steering wheel which helps vastly, but then I also have JK shell seats which with the high sides are tricky than regular seats to climb in and out of. I'm also arthritic and falling apart. I love the roof now I've got one, I don't have any great struggle getting in and out, though it's not particularly elegant I admit. I went to a windscreen, from roughly seven years of aeroscreen use two years ago, and fitted a roof just over a year ago. In the last year I've actually had to get Claire at A Plan to up my mileage limit for the year just gone and for the renewal I've just done.

The difference is twofold; the roof (plus half hood) means I'll set off even in rain and just risk it, hoping it will brighten up at some stage, but not panicking if it doesn't. Couple this with the change a couple of years ago to Toyo R1R's that just laugh in the face of rain and even standing water. And there's just so much more use to be had from the car.

I loved the aeroscreen when I had it, (and heaven knows I used the car all year round still and got caught in some monumental downpours over the years), I'd never try and talk someone out of going aero either, it can be a fantastic experience and will show you a completely different side to the car. All of which does puzzle me why knocking the weather gear seems to be such a band wagon. The funny thing to me though, is that merely reading the Boardroom, you'd think that barely half a dozen members use it. The reality is that lot's of owners do use the hood and side screens, they just quietly get on with enjoying their cars without commenting about it. :d

As discussed before though, if planning on using the hood, it really does benefit from a few modifications; seems to be one of few parts on the kit that hasn't really been developed by WF over the years.

Don't overlook the half hoods either, they're a great compromise, compact to carry, quick to put up, and with side screens on, they do a remarkable job of keeping the worst of a quick rain shower off you. With a set of support rails in place, they're also great if you need to do a motorway or dual carriageway blast to get to your favourite blatting roads.

• Like 1

Well said Dave :t-up: I couldn't have put it any better myself :)

(More thread drift - sorry)

Dave - How did you make your support rails?  I was thinking of a pair of slightly-over-length plastic conduits that are shaped to be braced onto the roll bar at one end and the windscreen at the other.  I bought my half hood from SB47s (because of the easy-in) and apart from fitting it and going for a quick blast, it has remained unused!

Rory's Dad

If memory serves, (I'm on the mk 2 versions now!) I used grey plastic broom/mop handles from B&Q, I then got two white plastic plumbing t-pieces. The bore of pipe in the T-pieces is just large enough to slide over the handles.

First off is to mod the T-pieces. The cross tube of the T is cut away axially, leaving just a curved lip, the width of the T, the lip of plastic is then opened out with a bit of heat to match the radii of the roll bar. I've stuck the soft fuxxy side of some velcro straps to the inside of the plastic lip - just to avoid marking/rubbing the roll bar.

One end of each handle had a loop moulded in for hanging up, I Dremelled one side off the loops, leaving a convenient flat hook, that will fit over the screen rail. At the other end, the handles are cut down to length, and then the T-pieces glued on.

I did something similar, using weld fit plastic waste tube and T pieces cut to fit the roll bar and screen top. I did need to reinforce the bars to increase their rigidity using some copper pipe though. I think there are a couple of threads giving details for what Dave did and I did in more detail.

No worries, that's why I used broom handles rather than straight pipe - they're a bit stiffer.

Perhaps they have improved the roof more than you think. My 1985 se roof is not too clever. The side screens dont fit in the car. I had to modify mine so they folded in half.

That's why I opted for wind deflectors and only putting the roof up when parked. I got fed up of it flapping against my head. The half hoods look much better designed.

I always remember a saying a yacht friend of mine said "there is no such thing as bad weather just poor clothing choices" saying that there are times when turning up wet and having to get changed is a bit of pain.

Paul

I have RAC bar, had hood adjusted to fit without a frame. I'm 5"10 and a 15 1/2 stone rugby player build (not fat, 2-4 hours a day in the gym, 5 days a week) and only have slight discomfort on a motorway when the roof's flapping on my head a bit. At 63mph it puffs out and I have no issues, but second I drop to 62mph it drops again! Was looking at a rail to fit straight down the middle, similar to soft bits half hood, but mileage has dropped and not using it to do huge trips now.

To modify the roof frame for RAC bar, remove (hacksaw) the middle of the three roof supports as this is replaced by the rollbar itself. I then elongated the holes on which the frame pivots so they became 15mm slots is the frame could still pivot, but now also lift the 1cm or so needed to clear the RAC bar. Sorry, no pics as I'm on my phone, but a search may yield something.

Ben