Milliband, the Mail and Newsnight

Norman Verona

My personal opinion is that the press council should censure the Mail over its article on Ralph Milliband.

If you saw Newsnight last night you will see the sort of passions this is bringing out.

Remember, Rothermere, the owner of the Mail in the 30s supported Hitler and Mosley. Very British.

Young Ed got a bit agitated on the earlier news, rightly so but it gave me a little snigger.

It's all to do with press regulation and the spin / spite of the nasty side of media and politics equally epitomised by Alistar Campbell that frankly puts most sane people off the whole idea of politics.

It will blow over as most of these things do as outside of Westminster and media circles I don't think most people give a flying fig about the lot of them and their ideologies and self interest.

I don't think any politician has had the countries interest in mind for a long time

If you saw Newsnight last night you will see the sort of passions this is bringing out.

• Like 2

I think if Paul Dacre decides it's OK to play the man and not the ball, someone should return the favour about his late father, Peter Dacre, someone his son has undoubtedly been influenced by.

Perhaps "Peter Dacre - The Man Who Hated Britain By Giving It His Son, Paul"?

Seriously, there's a huge difference between being influenced by your father and slavishly copying them.  I was influenced by my father - who wasn't? - but I'm not him, I'm my own man and very different.  Calling his father "evil" is way below the belt and grossly inaccurate, whatever the politics, and dissing a dead man to support your own narrow agenda is the desperate act of a cowardly bully.

• Like 1

And now Gove has stepped in to defend the Daily Mail.

That's all we need...

I heard Gove described on Five Live as "the blob" yesterday...... and it was in a serious piece... I enjoy PMQ's on a lunchtime as it's pure comedy :-)

I dispair with the rulers we have a choice of. We have Milliband who is typically trying to buy votes by promising to give more money to more feckless people. Now we have Cameron trying to look tough and yet just looking out of touch and mean. His advisors might think that it is a vote winner to restrict the dole to over 25's but the reality it will alienate those who have kids under 25 and those under 25 and out of work. Just beyond belief!!

As for the Daily Mail, they hate LAbour and Labour hate them. Attacking a dead man is very poor in my opinion but if there opinion writer is accurate then perhaps it is relevant, but no one will take any notice of it and in truth Milliband will be rubbing his hands. In the week that the tories want the press he has been given more air time than Cameron, so who has come out best? 

The Daily Mail is an awful rag. I dispair of my parents for reading it. Not least because my Dad only changed to it to save a little money. Buy an iPad instead!

I don't actually care if Milliband's Dad did hate Britain. I wouldn't vote for his lot either way.

Who gives a ****!

Me. The influence of the press should never be underestimated.

The Daily Mail is an awful rag. I dispair of my parents for reading it. Not least because my Dad only changed to it to save a little money. Buy an iPad instead!

I don't actually care if Milliband's Dad did hate Britain. I wouldn't vote for his lot either way.

My parents, Dad mainly, read 'The Daily Mail' and it caused a few heated conversations about journalistic priorities. There was a columnist - Linda Lee Potter - whom Dad thought the fount of all wisdom. She was a dreadful sensationalist in reality. Sadly my folks are no more; can't say about LLP though. :(

It is my mother's "news" paper of choice too.  :down:

Every time it makes an appearance I make a point of asking about what they're collectively outraged about this week (using those words).

My parents read it is well, 3 bed detached in village, spaniel by the aga, collective outrage at immigration, benefits, and anything else the mail rant on about.  I think its an age thing.

My Mum bless her is very victorian in her idea's and has now taken to only shopping in Olney and Market Harborough in case she gets mugged !!

We have long-time and dear married friends, but one of their few faults is buying and reading the Daily Fail, which they always hide in the "secret" compartment of the foot stool when we come around (for good reason).  One rather boozy evening, I opened it up and pulled the dreaded rag out in triumph, asking what their defence of this heinous crime might be.  She replied that she "only bought it for the crossword".  :blush: 

I said that was OK, because I only went to the supermarket for the background music. :laugh:

heheheh

Scott, to abvoid embarassment in reading the Daily Mail in public one could always hide it behind a copy of "Razzle" :p