Looking to get my first Westfield...

Damian_R

There`s a few of us in the 400+ club too ;) Chassis copes admirably but has been considerably strengthened. I think I`m about 430bhp. As stated above the throttle isn`t an on off switch. It`s all about what you are used to as well. My daily drive had 507bhp and I was thinking of getting it supercharged but I`m very glad I didn`t and now love my Westie. Few things still need doing but isn`t that the case with every owner?

When is the next Wilts/Hants meet and where? I`ll take you for a spin if it`s dry.

• Like 1

A few of us OAPs do drive a bit quicker than 40mph.........sometimes ;)  :laugh:

So many posts with so much information - thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post something for me to read and consider!

My hope is to drive the car at lest once a week even if it was just a round trip of 10 or so miles just to keep it moving, although I would like to get in at least one bigger trip a month with the wife (assuming the kids are at school or staying at grandparents) or even my eldest daughter who at the age of 8 is desperate for me to get on and but a Westfield!

Luckily, I live a few miles from Southampton and as such The New Forest is only a 10 minute drive and there are many a restaurant that can be visited :-)

I also would fully intend to attend WSCC club meetings (I would have gone to the Hants & Wilts meet this Sunday just gone had it been at their usual place) and then perhaps, assuming the car is something that merits it,  even take it to the odd other local car event assuming it meets the events requirements.

As for the technology within the car, at the end of the day it will be what it will be as I've no real preference for injection or old school twin carburettors ...... at the end of the day, last time I messed around with car engines was way back when I have a 1300 Vauxhall Chevette in the very early 90;s so anything I but will require a certain level of learning what's what.

I am slightly worried about buying a duff car as I no longer have my father to call on but it's a hurdle I'll have to get over I guess.

I'm really looking forward to spending hours in the garage getting scuffed knuckles and learning new things!!

Safe Driving

Damian

Welcome along Damian

I'm local to you and did EXACTLY what you've described, using my car in the same way plus I've done some track days and just started hill climbing too... :cool:

Suffice to say, I love my new car and hobby. I've made some great friends and this forum is priceless IMO... the knowledgeable friendly members on here helped me change my cambelt last winter  :o      previoiusly I'd only bolted on a Weber carb and big bore exhausts to my old Mini 1275 and Mk1 Mexico back in the day!

As has been said, you MUST join the club and come along to the meet ups, passenger rides, talk to the owners and get ready for enjoying cars again

:t-up:

• Like 1

@Burlers

.....at least I'll know which one you are assuming that your Westfield is the bright orange one in your avatar ;-)

Catch up with you 'for real' soon hopefully!

Damian

@dmac800 ..... appreciate the link to your car and having looked at it, I would certainly say that it looks like a good one but seeing as you are over 700miles from me I can't really popp up to have a look at it

Wish you well with the sell.

Damian

@dmac800 ..... appreciate the link to your car and having looked at it, I would certainly say that it looks like a good one but seeing as you are over 700miles from me I can't really popp up to have a look at it

Wish you well with the sell.

Damian

Yes, I think the distance will put people off. I personally would travel for the right car, I just bought a new daily driver and travelled all the way to Birmingham but it is just personal choice.

When is the next Wilts/Hants meet and where? I`ll take you for a spin if it`s dry.

It's normally the last Sunday of the month and our AO posts up on our local forum where we're meeting which is usually either nr Romsey or Meonstoke

So many posts with so much information - thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post something for me to read and consider!

My hope is to drive the car at lest once a week even if it was just a round trip of 10 or so miles just to keep it moving, although I would like to get in at least one bigger trip a month with the wife (assuming the kids are at school or staying at grandparents) or even my eldest daughter who at the age of 8 is desperate for me to get on and but a Westfield!

Luckily, I live a few miles from Southampton and as such The New Forest is only a 10 minute drive and there are many a restaurant that can be visited :-)

I also would fully intend to attend WSCC club meetings (I would have gone to the Hants & Wilts meet this Sunday just gone had it been at their usual place) and then perhaps, assuming the car is something that merits it,  even take it to the odd other local car event assuming it meets the events requirements.

As for the technology within the car, at the end of the day it will be what it will be as I've no real preference for injection or old school twin carburettors ...... at the end of the day, last time I messed around with car engines was way back when I have a 1300 Vauxhall Chevette in the very early 90;s so anything I but will require a certain level of learning what's what.

I am slightly worried about buying a duff car as I no longer have my father to call on but it's a hurdle I'll have to get over I guess.

I'm really looking forward to spending hours in the garage getting scuffed knuckles and learning new things!!

Safe Driving

Damian

Throttle bodies might make the car more expensive but the West will probably run more smoothly and will definitely be more economical.  I paid £400ish (gulp) to have my ECU set up by Northampton Motorsport.  Never mind said Troy you'll soon get that back in petrol saved!  I'm nearly there!!

You'll probably not buy a duff car if you take someone from the local area to offer an opinion.  Most sellers on the WSCC can be trusted anyway (look for a high number posts/year!

An exciting time for you - enjoy

Rory@s Dad

• Like 1

@Dan.....great looking motor but it's a little more than I was hoping to spend at this particular moment.

Edited by Damian_R