The 20-25k Hypothetical Classifieds

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
Audi RS4 Avant.
Merlyn mk? historic formula ford
Triumph TR5

Aston Martin V8 vantage, you can pick up a 2006 car with low mileage at the top end of your range. Superb in all areas and servicing costs are not too bad (even from an AM dealer). No more than the servicing costs of an Audi RS4. I have had both so I know and both are fantastic cars.

I would love a historic formula ford for sprints and hillclimbs. Your budget would get a good Merlyn and parts are still available from the manufacturer. Couldn't drive on the road though. Will just keep going up in value whereas the 2 above will just drop until you are very very old.

TR5 cos I am biased but are fun and keep going up in value. Again you may get one at the top of your budget just, but you will have to be quick as each day they go up in value. A TR4a IRS or TR6 would be cheaper alternatives, the 4a would be my preference.

V8 vantage

I actually looked at adverts around the £30k mark and wondered if Mrs C would notice the money missing and how easy it would be to say "swapped it for the Westfield". But then wondered how long before I'd miss the :yellow-westy: and wish I hadn't made the change. Plus I couldn't imagine it long before some local person either drove into it, ran a key down the side if it or decided to steal it.

Mrs C is getting a Alfa Giulietta (cash ready and waiting) but is waiting for us to move. She's convinced that it'll be car jacked, driven into or destroyed almost instantly anywhere north if Bristol! :laugh:

In July last year I was fortunate enough to be in that position and thought long and hard but ultimately there was only one that did it for me so went for the Stratos rep.

CarPurchase7July2012_zpsf940de80.jpg

Been bringing back to it's former glory for the last 18 months as it had been stood for 6 years and I've enjoyed every minute of it. 

20130727_092506_zpsdc06f8b8.jpg

Still miss the Westie though. :-(

20120623_120051.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-s4s/1318816

I have always loved these. Values are starting to climb now. 

That was my other option. I test drove a V8 and I don't know if had had a hard life, but it just felt wrong. The V8 seems to have a problem with the cylinder liners so that was a worry and I think if I had bought the lesser engine, I'd have always been wishing that I'd bought a V8, right or wrong.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/esprit/lotus-esprit-s4s/1318816

I have always loved these. Values are starting to climb now. 

lotus-esprit-s4s-18334310-3.jpg

Mmm, always had a soft spot for Esprit's  :love: 

• Like 1

I still have my Esprit GT3 after 10 years! As far as the v8's are concerned, I doubt that there is a V8 out there that hasn't had the liner issue resolved (the issue was the sealant used to seat the liners not holding up and this was changed for a different type).

Westford

I used to own an Exige and they really are that good. They don't need 300bhp, 200 is enough for such a good chassis.

I picked up my GT86 daily drive last week. Yes it is a Toyota, but it's a great drive. With less than 300 miles on the clock it's not been driven properly yet though! 

David,  I had a ride in and Esprit v8 Turbo with design engineer from Ilmor engineering and it was very quick indeed.  Felt like a great value british super car !!!

I need to buy a Westy soon, the Exige being mentioned resulted in ever dangerous Pistonhead classified browsing under 'L' and working out how much a loan would cost me a month.

I've always had a hankering for a Porsche 911, never driven one so I'll reserve judgement until I get a chance. Hoping to be in the position to buy a £25-30k toy within a couple of years.

I know this isn't really a GT but it looks very nice :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-2-0-sport-and-tech-with-sport-ratio-g-box/1544802#

Edit to add....

What was I thinking, it's definitely a GT

Tech Pack ~ Alpine Touch Screen Satellite Navigation Unit, DVD Player, Bluetooth, USB Connection, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors

Plus ~ Reversing Camera, Power Fold Door Mirrors, Close Ratio Gearbox, Bi-Xenon Headlights, Classic Stealth Grey Wheels 18" Front / 19" Rear