Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

Mark (smokey mow)

happy days Mark, And if you mount them upside down they will hold a media Cafe Mocha from a well known high street chain….

Wow, well done Mark, what a superb present! And how fitting to the chaps memory that they didn't just end up in a skip somewhere with no one knowing what they really were.

Result - does that mean you don't need to pay for moulds and casting now? Ore are you thinking of getting a mould made from that set?

Result - does that mean you don't need to pay for moulds and casting now? Ore are you thinking of getting a mould made from that set?

Correct, there's no need for me to get casting made now :) I'll be getting them 3D scanned though for rapid prototyping of moulds in the future should I ever need to get replacements made.

You could sell your story to the discovery channel ;) might help finance it!!!!

Much better than the loud Americans with there weekend car makeovers

You could sell your story to the discovery channel ;) might help finance it!!!!

Much better than the loud Americans with there weekend car makeovers

I go along with that, it makes for a great read

• 1 month later...

Just in case you thought I might have forgotten about this build thread I thought I better give a brief update to reassure you that all is still moving along nicely. 

The last month has been spent much like the previous ones with a combination of research, drawing and the occasional good fortune.  There's not a great deal to show I'm afraid but the wishbone drawings are now completed and I'll gathering quotes from a few sources for their manufacture.  The original wishbones and radius arms were all brazed so for authenticity this is something I'm also looking to continue for the parts I'm having remade.

On the research front I owe some thanks to Dave Woodgate who has uncovered several old race programs featuring formula IV as well as a couple of race reports in Autosport and who has kindly been sending me copies of these.  Of interest there was also this advert which appeared in Autosport on July 1st 1966.

AutosportAdvert.jpg

That's about £10.5k in today's money so probably not far off the mark - I think a new Jedi is about £18k

Oh how I wish I'd kept my Brabham BT21B - there's a BT18 at Paul Matty's for just under £60k and I bought and sold two 21B's in my younger days (not to mention the Elan S3) - if only I'd known then ..................  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  

• 3 weeks later...

Tonights update will only be brief as I'm tired from a long drive back from The North, but I'm sure that those few members who were in the know will be anxious to hear how my latest shopping trip went :)

I'll let the pictures tell the story for now, but I'll be posting several full updates over the coming days and weeks :)

b86967189c45ddc9bb36ca8a1e2a11b9.jpg

e68243a39437322f277e881ed048cd29.jpg

c2cf200a27bb29b809a7a74478ca3d54.jpg

b5e5c59fb7c382caff0460fc90bc4ea1.jpg

• Like 2

Mark looks like a very good shopping trip. Not sure why you bought a bag of assorted weeds!!

Shots of chassis attached to the garage ceilings are always my favourites :t-up:

Fantastic shopping!
Cheers.

Jos

I need joists like that in my garage roof!

It looks like you're building two now. One of them may be a canoe, not sure ;)

As the latest photos show I may have been slightly economical with the details of my visit to Blackburn back in march. It's fair to say that Rod Pickup's sheds and garages contained much more than just the rear uprights and the few other spares that I brought back with me from that trip.

As I'd mentioned before, Rod had during his life accumulated several different single seater projects which included a Hi-Tech 600, a NERO which was of his own design and Briham F4 (more to follow on this later). Rod's interest in Johnny Walker though was not just in their cars, and following the demise of the company and manufacturing of the JW4 Rod had taken on to support existing owners of these cars in supplying replacement parts also undertaking repairs to chassis and body panels. It was many of these assets that interested me. Rod's own NERO project coincidently was also based around modified JW4 components.

In advance of my latest journey to Blackburn Brian Lowe had kindly sent me a series of photographs of the various items which he thought would interest me and with this knowledge a van was booked. I think this one will be big enough :d

e654c647715cb60013676ab52922ee22.jpg