Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

Mark (smokey mow)

Good skills gary the force is strong in you…. :-) 

Good skills gary the force is strong in you…. :-)

I taught him everything he knows :oops::p

I taught him everything he knows :oops::p

Not quite everything Mark, just most ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A few of you may have noticed that I've been a bit quiet on here recently, even fewer of you know the actual reason why except for a few slightly cryptic status updates on my profile recently.

About 4-weeks ago I received a totally unexpected phone call whist at work from a Brian Lowe. Describing the call as unexpected is actually quite an understatement as it comes as quite a surprise when you answer the office phone and the voice at the other end asks if you're the chap on the Westfield forum restoring a JW4 :o By chance Brian had stumbled upon my build thread as a result of a Google search and had gone to exorbitant lengths to try and track me down in an effort to make contact.

(For anyone else reading this and struggling to contact me in future please email me at wsccessex@btinternet.com) :)

After I'd got over the initial shock of the call, I learnt that Brian had been good friends with Rod Pickup who back in 1987 had undertaken the chassis repairs for Dr Pickering on my own JW4. Sadly Rod passed away last October quite unexpectedly and unfortunately before I had been able to make contact with him myself. Brian's keenness to talk to me was because of what Rod had hidden away in his sheds and garages which it was felt would be of great use to myself, and amongst these items it was thought there was some of the missing parts I'd been seeking so desperately.

There's not much that would persuade me to spend 5 hours driving up north on my Birthday, but after several weeks had passed following our first conversations and few telephone discussions later the decision was made that it would be worthwhile to make the trip to Blackburn to meet with Brian and Rod's widow Vanessa.

I am very much indebted to the kindness, help and hospitality which Vanessa, Brian and also Adrain showed us during our visit welcoming us into her home and spending the day with us. :t-up:

Amongst some of the old files Brian had uncovered some old photos of what he believed to show the restoration of my chassis from when Rod had repaired it. It's unmistakable with it's damaged red bodywork and the missing section of chassis to the rear where it's mini engine once sat.

Rod1.jpg

Rod2.jpg

And then with fresh metal and repaired ready for painting

Rod3.jpg

And painted

Rod8.jpg

Rod7.jpg

More to follow........

this gets better by the day ...

Yep, fascinating stuff...

this gets better by the day ...

Yep, fascinating stuff...

I'm still astounded by the information which is turning up. From the conversations I've enjoyed with various past and present owners over the last year the JW4 has clearly made quite an impression on them, it's now become a legacy I want to ensure is documented and continues for the future.

I'm still astounded by the information which is turning up. From the conversations I've enjoyed with various past and present owners over the last year the JW4 has clearly made quite an impression on them, it's now become a legacy I want to ensure is documented and continues for the future.

Mark we have shared a few coversation over the JW4 - your attitude towards this and the continuation of the JW4 is very admirable.

Keep up the good work :)

Mark we have shared a few coversation over the JW4 - your attitude towards this and the continuation of the JW4 is very admirable.

Keep up the good work :)

Thank you Gary :t-up:

So what parts did you get from Blackburn?

So what parts did you get from Blackburn?

have patience, I'm still writing that update ;)

The photographs were a pleasant surprise but the real reason of the visit was of course to look at parts. I think it would be fair to describe Rod as having been a hoarder and over the years he had accumulated several different projects and enjoyed a few different hobbies and interests. This includes having designed and built his own single seater which appears in part to be based around some of the old JW4 components.

Of the JW4 project sadly not much now seems to remain save for a few parts hidden in boxes in various rooms and garages. I shan't however keep you all guessing any longer and this was the reason for Brian's original phone call to me and the justification for my driving half way up the country. :t-up:

98ad07e1ca17227dd9992ece59fa29a1.jpg

That is some "shopping trip" Mark :-)

Those fabled rear uprights have been one of the most challenging parts of the car to source or recreate so to find a pair of original unmachined magnesium castings really was the best Birthday present I could ever have hoped for :cool:
  • Like 3