Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

Mark (smokey mow)

11 hours ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

Absolutely beautiful work I love reading and following your build, thanks for sharing 

Thanks Gary, it's nearly there now and not much left to do. A couple of good weekends and the final jobs should all be done.

• Like 2

Mark looks stunning I’d love to pop over to see in the flesh

5 hours ago, Banshee said:

Mark looks stunning I’d love to pop over to see in the flesh

You'd be more than welcome Kev, I'm normally about most weekends. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only a small update as I've been back on the DIY for the last couple of weeks.

There's not much left to do now but one of the jobs was to fit the chain.  This was on the list to do a few weeks ago were it not for an ebay seller who let me down by promissing a 2day delivery that in the end turned out to be 6weeks! Suffice to say I cancelled the order and did what i should have done originally and bought one from the local motorcycle shop.

Even after finally getting a chain the problems didn't end there as it wouldn't fit the sprocket! No problem as I have plenty of alternative sprockets but I'd obviously fitted one in error that had the wrong pitch.

image.thumb.jpeg.af17c1037fdad61b3a12396a5e30799d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b50252254b2aa5cff069e00175881101.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b99244b7c3f2ccb7789531188b3a0a58.jpeg

With the engine now in the final position and the chain adjusted correctly ita time for a brave pill and cutting the engine cover. The position of the cut out was marked from the underside by drawing around the cylinder head and then the corners of the cut out drilled with a hole saw.

image.thumb.jpeg.3aae6b9cd066c94010f4e9e0fa3e3dae.jpeg

the straight cuts were then made with a fine saw with a file and sand to finish. A quick clean and polish then the roundels were applied.

image.thumb.jpeg.12c8e027a06b1c8f729dc3ad965b97c3.jpeg

a race car needs numbers so 67 seemed a fitting choice since this car would have first been raced in 1967.

image.thumb.jpeg.5bf70bc2226b7bb1e14270b2694a6bf3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a37e24e7e413f31bfc3d9419d5553bd4.jpegj

• Like 9

Beautiful job , well done , if she goes as well as she looks should be a cracker ! 

• Like 1

Classic machine, looks lovely. A credit to you Mark, well done.

• Like 1

that's a fabulous thing Mark - well done 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few days I've completed the final two jobs that needed to be done.

Firstly the rocker boxes were cleaned up and fitted together with the oil feed.

image.thumb.jpeg.c04a3cbcde9b0f913bbdc9b4be6e93a9.jpeg

The second job was the fuel tank.  Massive thanks to Martin at MJS fabrication who made this with 3-days notice for me so I could get it fitted this weekend.  Thanks Martin :t-up: 

image.jpeg.2df139901b083209348a23ea72027baa.jpegA

image.thumb.jpeg.9b91b4632ec47ccf09797daf002adb6e.jpeg

So why the hurry to get everything finished? Well next weekend I have an invitation to the car show for Motorsport at the Palace at Crystal Palace. If you happen to be near London and at a loose end over the bank holiday weekend come and say hi.

Polished and ready :cool:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As I close off this chapter I should also finish by saying that not a single cable tie was used anywhere in the assembly of this car 🙂 

• Like 4

Superb, wish I could get to the show to see it. What an utterly amazing project this has been.

• Like 1