Smokey's JW4 Formula Four Rebuild Thread

Mark (smokey mow)

When I started looking at car no.2 a couple of months back one of the first jobs was a major stock take to see what parts I had and what might be missing and I was quite relieved to find I had a full set of suspension components.  Some of these are original parts whilst others it is clear from the welding are later reproductions but all visually appeared useable although others not cosmetically at their best.

image.thumb.jpeg.89561495ddb09e1c3039258f43d1fdc8.jpeg

i really should have taken some better photos! Having found I'd got a full set these and a few of the smaller parts were sent off to the platers for a good polish and some fresh nickel.

image.thumb.jpeg.6140afc3979b2649a54a6b7b0ff8a706.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8196d6ce7f849ea95ba976bb992bcfb0.jpeg

• Like 1

Two months later and the boxes of tired and rusty parts has returned and now looking a lot more shiny than when I last saw them :cool:

image.thumb.jpeg.404edde196d7748b3a4d6b699310a1d0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.28f4e4e1f02084dce23c1e21eda3d7bc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f8124fc6aea17855fa9ce0bf0a780f97.jpeg

• Like 4

The plating looks good.  Can I ask where you got it done?

Geoff

8 hours ago, geoffd said:

The plating looks good.  Can I ask where you got it done?

Geoff

I'm sorry to say I don't know! Early on when I started the first car I've been working with John Danby Racing who have made several of the missing parts for the first car which included the rear suspension bits.  Since then I've been making use of their motorsports prowess and contacts to outsource some of the other items they can't do inhouse.  In the case of the nickel plating I've been piggybacking off their own orders as they're currently running and preparing several cars in the Masters Historics.

The wishbones for the first car I believe were all done by Hockley Enterprises in Southend and these are comparable in quality and finish to those, but John mentioned to me recently that they' were trying somewhere new as the pricing and finish was better, but I've no idea who they are.

• 2 months later...

Dear Sirs, I have a Johnny walker complete car, with a pre Desmond 250cc Ducati engine, it is chassis number 6, lived all its life in Gibraltar, it was purchased from the original owner who was 84 at the time and restored in the U.K., here is a photograph, is there a market for these cars, any idea on value, here is a picture, Larry Riches  ps cannot upload the photo, please email me if interested larryriches@aol.com

Edited by Larry Riches

3 hours ago, Larry Riches said:

Dear Sirs, I have a Johnny walker complete car, with a pre Desmond 250cc Ducati engine, it is chassis number 6, lived all its life in Gibraltar, it was purchased from the original owner who was 84 at the time and restored in the U.K., here is a photograph, is there a market for these cars, any idea on value, here is a picture, Larry Riches  ps cannot upload the photo, please email me if interested larryriches@aol.com

Hi Larry, thank you for your message and for getting in touch, I have just sent you an email.

my email address is wsccessex@btinternet.com

Fascinating project Mark, your fastidious engineering approach is a credit to you. Looking forward to further updates.

back in May I dropped off a kit of parts to the fabricators for welding and today I finally was able to collect the first half (yes it really has taken that long!) there's still a few more parts still to come which are proving difficult to machine due to being hardened steel but for now I was able to take the completed axle carrier.

image.thumb.jpeg.f6040e94bb614e1f4995df2a7c39f8da.jpeg

Around the same time I dropped off the parts at the fabricators @Ben (bunje) was also kind enough to do a small machining job for me and made the brake drum carrier, thanks Ben :t-up:

We started off with a drawing....

image.jpeg.1f3d42798962a46e658cb2a52aeac6b4.jpeg

And the finshed parts :cool:

image.jpeg.e700c9dea9cc8f20d63298befbcfefc7.jpeg

• Like 1

With enough parts I've finally been able to do a auick dry assembly before painting to check the fit. I'll need to grind a small relief on the steel angles to give a bit more clearance for the brake drum but otherwise I'm happy with the way its fitting together.

image.thumb.jpeg.855da087571042d12806b37128c6ad9c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3941c11e57fb8fec36863e32ac1f4ecc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f094520e5b15c02891a51c3de9503277.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.404d99e6bcde5642ba3a66f9478a5dc5.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

There was only time for a few small jobs this weekend.  Firstly the chassis for the Carburol Special was lifted down from the rafters where its hung for the last few years. This necessitated a tidy-up of the garage to make enough room for it to sit on the floor.  I'm currently exploring options to give a bit more building room.

The axle assembly has been trial fitted and needed only a slight reaming of the fixing holes to allow the bolts to slide in more smoothly. 

image.thumb.jpeg.fbd703415d6e23498782500890872539.jpeg

then a trial fit of the bodywork. The Carburol presents a few challenges for fitting the body since the chassis has been substantially modified from it's JW4 origins.  The new dash hoop projects higher than the top of the bodywork and the forward stays to the rollbar will need some cutting of the cockpit sides. I've got a small piece of damaged bodywork that I'd picked up a couple of years ago with some other stulff that I'd kept for such a task. As it turns out this is the same bodywork that adorned my other JW4 but had been removed from the car 30 years ago.

image.thumb.jpeg.13ad8556e55f8c4993a4fba761e40175.jpeg

image.jpeg.50cf850ed7e63519f7d34e3e7af9a1b9.jpeg

• Like 2