Mark (smokey mow)

Spot the Difference – Bodywork

It’s not quite as simple as that, but depends on what appearance you’re prepared to put up with!

The Kit bodywork scuttle is also around 17-19mm narrower, side to side at the top, though it’s the same width as the ZK (roughly), where it meets the tub. So a ZK bonnet would be slightly wider either side than the top of the scuttle, and you’d see a step in the bodywork.

Additionally, the swage line that runs from the nose, along the bonnet and down the scuttle, is I understand, at a slightly different height on the kit bodywork, and slightly different proportions. So that wouldn’t line up properly, either.

Ive no idea how the bonnet lines up with the nosecone, I’m afraid, though, and whether you have a similar difference in shape as with the scuttle.

Its certainly been done, but typically on track nails, where cosmetics don’t really come in to it, and you just need a bonnet to cover the engine and moving parts.

2 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It’s not quite as simple as that, but depends on what appearance you’re prepared to put up with!

The Kit bodywork scuttle is also around 17-19mm narrower, side to side at the top, though it’s the same width as the ZK (roughly), where it meets the tub. So a ZK bonnet would be slightly wider either side than the top of the scuttle, and you’d see a step in the bodywork.

Additionally, the swage line that runs from the nose, along the bonnet and down the scuttle, is I understand, at a slightly different height on the kit bodywork, and slightly different proportions. So that wouldn’t line up properly, either.

Ive no idea how the bonnet lines up with the nosecone, I’m afraid, though, and whether you have a similar difference in shape as with the scuttle.

Its certainly been done, but typically on track nails, where cosmetics don’t really come in to it, and you just need a bonnet to cover the engine and moving parts.

Thanks for the reply. It seems fitting a ZK nose, ZK bonnet and ZK scuttle to a kit widebody would be the best way to go and the fit between the ZK scuttle and the kit tub (at the bottom) would be tolerably accurate. There is probably enough flexibility in the panel to accommodate 5-10mm either way, anyway.

From what you say, fitting a ZK bonnet to a kit scuttle will result in ugly "shoulders" to the bonnet at the rear even if you grind the return down to align the horizontal bonnet line and that is before we worry about the fit to the nose cone.

So thank you again for the information as that clarifies the route to take. I do have a good, uncut ZK bonnet as it happens so it is just a case of finding a scuttle panel and nose in decent shape.  

You’ll need a new dash as the Kit dash profile is different also!   That also leads on to if you want a crash pad or not... leading on to............. the everlasting “almost ready!” status

12 hours ago, DamperMan said:

You’ll need a new dash as the Kit dash profile is different also!   That also leads on to if you want a crash pad or not... leading on to............. the everlasting “almost ready!” status

Thanks for that additional information. You are right, these things have a cascade effect - you change one thing and it requires another 20 things to be changed.

As it happens the dashboard was something I was going to do anyway, so that won't be a problem. The current layout is a bit haphazard with odd unlabelled switches dotted about.