Mark (smokey mow)

Spot the Difference – Bodywork

Excellent, thank you

Any pictures of what to expect to see would be much appreciated if anyone has any.

Not really, the nearest I could find so far is this - a shot of the side of the car, it's the area just below the scuttle:

IMG_0578.jpg

The black section with sloping front to it is the side of the drivers side dropped floor.

If it helps :blush: This is what the dropped floors look like with a bodiless chassis, turned upside down on the build stands; you can clearly see each lowered area. They start at the cross member just in front of your seat, extending back almost to the rear bulkhead.

IMG_0379.jpg

And from a 3/4 view:

IMG_0330.jpg

That helps, thank you

I'm guessing its more obvious when the metal is left bare?

I've just uploaded a photo to my gallery to show it but don't know how to post it.

gallery_20409_377_16868.jpg

That looks like a bit like an early style one - they were made from Aluminium, and had two steel straps that went down, underneath, and back up to join the chassis tube at the tunnel. The seats bolted through the steel straps.

The current type floor you see in my photos is made up of steel sheet, welded in directly, it doesn't have the extra straps.

• Like 1

Given all the above will a ZK bonnet and scuttle fit a kit tub ?

you would also need a ZK nose if using a ZK bonnet and Scuttle, but yes they should all fit on a kit tub although you may have to fettle the locating lugs on the tub a bit.

On 08/09/2013 at 22:24, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

How to tell the difference between a Narrow Body and a Wide Body

If you don’t have a tape measure to hand then the two most visual differences between a narrow and wide body car are around the rear lights and also the shoulder panel next to the seat.

And if you do have a tape measure then narrow bonnets are 940mm wide (at the scuttle end) and wide bonnets are 990mm.

R

Are the ZK and original nose cones different widths, see that the bonnet fronts are differen

Only asking as I’ve sourced a V8 bonnet but it appeared to be narrower

if they are I’m going to have to reshape the nose or source a newer nose cone but will this fit

11 hours ago, Banshee said:

Are the ZK and original nose cones different widths, see that the bonnet fronts are differen

Only asking as I’ve sourced a V8 bonnet but it appeared to be narrower

if they are I’m going to have to reshape the nose or source a newer nose cone but will this fit

The flange on the nose is certainly a different shape and I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences in the width or profile of the curve.

The kit wide nose is more closely matched in its dimensions to the narrow nose.

On 16/05/2016 at 18:57, Mark (smokey mow) said:
On 16/05/2016 at 18:33, Pantherman said:

you would also need a ZK nose if using a ZK bonnet and Scuttle, but yes they should all fit on a kit tub although you may have to fettle the locating lugs on the tub a bit.

Appreciate this is a rather old thread but hoping someone sees this.

I have a widebody of 1993 vintage that lost is bonnet at sometime in the past and now runs an aluminium bonnet that was fabricated for it. It isn't a thing of great beauty and ultimately I would like to replace it. Unless anyone has a spare "kit" widebody bonnet, it seems from the above an option is to source a nose cone, bonnet and scuttle from a ZK model and fit them as a set. 2 questions really; is that the only option and/or are we sure the ZK bodywork will fit. Obviously, the nose cone and bonnet will match each other but is the scuttle the same size as the kit scuttle where it meets the side panels i.e. it all lines up neatly?

If the ZK scuttle is the same size, that begs the question of if anyone has tried fettling a ZK bonnet to fit the kit scuttle (grinding down the return flanges etc)? I am guessing the answer is yes and it can't be done but just want to be sure. It is easier and cheaper to get/fit a nose cone and bonnet rather than nose cone/bonnet/scuttle.