Spot the Difference – Bodywork

Mark (smokey mow)

You’ll need a new dash as the Kit dash profile is different also!   That also leads on to if you want a crash pad or not... leading on to............. the everlasting “almost ready!” status

• 1 month later...

Are the screens different as well on ZK and kit, newer ones are black plus I’ve heard people talk about taller screens as well?

My SEWi  "Kit" Screen went straight on to the ZK body work so you should be OK there.     

5 minutes ago, Banshee said:

Are the screens different as well on ZK and kit, newer ones are black plus I’ve heard people talk about taller screens as well?

As far as I know, the screens are the same for all bodywork types, it’s just that you have a choice between polished frame and black. (You have a heated option as well, but that’s the glass, not the frame.) There is Then the further option of the taller screen, AFAIK, this is only available in black. It may need different screen supports too, I’m not sure - someone told me recently, that the taller screen is also slightly more inclined back than the standard screen. (Which with the height difference has knock on effects on the side screens, hood etc.)

The taller screen fits the same screen supports as the standard screen.

Yes on the sport 250 it's inclined further back. However it doesn't have to be. I've spoken to one other builder who simply took out their standard screen and slotted in the taller one. They also carried on using their standard side screens albeit they sat around 40mm lower at the top than the screen.

• Like 1

On the taller screen the angle is different, and this furter compliv=cates the door tops not actually fitting as well as they could do and i'm considering moving my screen further forward to help with height in the cabin.

On the 250 build the length of wood used to prop the windows up at the right angle seems to be a well hidden secret :westy:

2 hours ago, Banshee said:

I believe the screen pillars might be different though due to the different scuttle profiles.

For info: Along with taller screen on the 250, the std. rollbar is also ~ 2" taller. Logical really, but I hadn't realised until my car had been on the road for several months!

• 1 year later...

I have had a quick read through this thread on body differences and wonder, what are the real benefits of the widebody.

Reason I ask is I am looking to buy later this year and I am 5'8" but kinda a bit round. 

I am prepared to lose weight to fit but what I want to know is how much extra space does the widebody give me over the narrow?

Be gentle :) 😀

9 minutes ago, Boftus said:

I have had a quick read through this thread on body differences and wonder, what are the real benefits of the widebody.

Reason I ask is I am looking to buy later this year and I am 5'8" but kinda a bit round. 

I am prepared to lose weight to fit but what I want to know is how much extra space does the widebody give me over the narrow?

Be gentle :) 😀

You’ll probably find this thread useful.

The difference is about 1-1/2” in the width of each seat and IIRC 3” legroom, so if you’re gross on the hips or long in the leg a wide is the better option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

You’ll probably find this thread useful.

The difference is about 1-1/2” in the width of each seat and IIRC 3” legroom, so if you’re gross on the hips or long in the leg a wide is the better option.

Perfect thanks. Looks like I might fit lol

• 2 years later...
On 08/09/2013 at 22:32, Mark (smokey mow) said:

The tub shoulder panel is also a good indication of body type. The ZK in the first picture having a flat chamfered design, whist the kit in the second and third pictures is more scalloped.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/WSCC%20Boardroom/Bodywork%20FAQ/Wide-Tub-ZK.jpg http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/WSCC%20Boardroom/Bodywork%20FAQ/Wide-Tub-Kit2.jpg http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/WSCC%20Boardroom/Bodywork%20FAQ/Wide-Tub-Kit.jpg

Finally the design of the crash pad on the scuttle differs between the two types. The “kit” crash pad extends the full depth of the scuttle and fills the space from the dashboard right up to the bottom edge of the windscreen. The sides of the crash pad then extend roughly halfway down the side of the scuttle.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/WSCC%20Boardroom/Bodywork%20FAQ/Wide-Scutte-Kit.jpg

The ZK crash pad is much narrower, only extending approximately half way toward the windscreen but it’s sides cover the full height of the scuttles sides.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq299/mark_wendon/WSCC%20Boardroom/Bodywork%20FAQ/Wide-Scuttle-ZK.jpg

Hi! Why is the non ZK called the "kit"? Is the ZK factory built i.e. not built as a kit? Confused!

2 minutes ago, NickT said:

Hi! Why is the non ZK called the "kit"? Is the ZK factory built i.e. not built as a kit? Confused!

Unknown, in this case, it's just the name! "Kit" bodywork is what was supplied for much of the nineties, regardless of whether it was in kit form or factory built. ZK was the name for the re-styled bodywork that replaced it. So again, ZK bodywork is what you got regardless of factory build or kit form supply.

(There were some smaller sub variations of kit, too, but won't cause more confusion by detailing them here!!

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Unknown, in this case, it's just the name! "Kit" bodywork is what was supplied for much of the nineties, regardless of whether it was in kit form or factory built. ZK was the name for the re-styled bodywork that replaced it. So again, ZK bodywork is what you got regardless of factory build or kit form supply.

(There were some smaller sub variations of kit, too, but won't cause more confusion by detailing them here!!

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

I suspect it’s just a name used to describe the difference that eventually stuck.  In much the same way we now refer to “narrow” and “wide” bodies yet in in the 1990’s when they came out Westfield called them “standard” and “wide”.

• Like 1