Spot the Difference – Bodywork

Mark (smokey mow)

Excellent, thank you

Any pictures of what to expect to see would be much appreciated if anyone has any.

Not really, the nearest I could find so far is this - a shot of the side of the car, it's the area just below the scuttle:

IMG_0578.jpg

The black section with sloping front to it is the side of the drivers side dropped floor.

If it helps :blush: This is what the dropped floors look like with a bodiless chassis, turned upside down on the build stands; you can clearly see each lowered area. They start at the cross member just in front of your seat, extending back almost to the rear bulkhead.

IMG_0379.jpg

And from a 3/4 view:

IMG_0330.jpg

Probably, but you'd still, I suspect, need quite a low viewpoint to see it if just looking casually.

gallery_20409_377_16868.jpg

That looks like a bit like an early style one - they were made from Aluminium, and had two steel straps that went down, underneath, and back up to join the chassis tube at the tunnel. The seats bolted through the steel straps.

The current type floor you see in my photos is made up of steel sheet, welded in directly, it doesn't have the extra straps.

• Like 1

Oh, and a helpful photo posting guide! clicky here

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just dipped into this to remind myself of what I have. Very good information and very useful  :yes:

Given all the above will a ZK bonnet and scuttle fit a kit tub ?

Given all the above will a ZK bonnet and scuttle fit a kit tub ?

you would also need a ZK nose if using a ZK bonnet and Scuttle, but yes they should all fit on a kit tub although you may have to fettle the locating lugs on the tub a bit.

• 7 months later...
On 08/09/2013 at 22:24, Mark Wendon (smokey mow) - WSCC Club Secretary said:

How to tell the difference between a Narrow Body and a Wide Body

If you don’t have a tape measure to hand then the two most visual differences between a narrow and wide body car are around the rear lights and also the shoulder panel next to the seat.

And if you do have a tape measure then narrow bonnets are 940mm wide (at the scuttle end) and wide bonnets are 990mm.

R

• 2 years later...

Are the ZK and original nose cones different widths, see that the bonnet fronts are differen

Only asking as I’ve sourced a V8 bonnet but it appeared to be narrower

if they are I’m going to have to reshape the nose or source a newer nose cone but will this fit

11 hours ago, Banshee said:

Are the ZK and original nose cones different widths, see that the bonnet fronts are differen

Only asking as I’ve sourced a V8 bonnet but it appeared to be narrower

if they are I’m going to have to reshape the nose or source a newer nose cone but will this fit

The flange on the nose is certainly a different shape and I wouldn't be surprised if there are differences in the width or profile of the curve.

The kit wide nose is more closely matched in its dimensions to the narrow nose.

It’s not quite as simple as that, but depends on what appearance you’re prepared to put up with!

The Kit bodywork scuttle is also around 17-19mm narrower, side to side at the top, though it’s the same width as the ZK (roughly), where it meets the tub. So a ZK bonnet would be slightly wider either side than the top of the scuttle, and you’d see a step in the bodywork.

Additionally, the swage line that runs from the nose, along the bonnet and down the scuttle, is I understand, at a slightly different height on the kit bodywork, and slightly different proportions. So that wouldn’t line up properly, either.

Ive no idea how the bonnet lines up with the nosecone, I’m afraid, though, and whether you have a similar difference in shape as with the scuttle.

Its certainly been done, but typically on track nails, where cosmetics don’t really come in to it, and you just need a bonnet to cover the engine and moving parts.