Spot the Difference – Bodywork

Mark (smokey mow)

Where does the ZEI fit in to all this..?

It's difficult for me to comment with authority as I've only ever seen one ZEI in the flesh but the bodywork is virtually unique to that car. Largely however it appears to be based around the ZK bodywork but features a unique tub, bonnet, scuttle and clams.

The ZEI bonnet is initially similar in appearance the the V8 bonnet but can be easily identified as the bulge is offset to one side rather than on the centreline.

The front edges of the body tube extends further forward than standard cars and fully encloses the sides of the chassis and the front suspension mounts to meet with the back edge of the nose cone.

The Clamshell wings are from a different moulding have integral front indicators rather than the more usual method of mounting them from pods on the nose.

The scuttle is fully moulded on the engine bay side and features a number of recesses for the battery and heater.

ZEI.jpg

That type scuttle is also present on a number of Westfield models from the late nineties, you usually see it on Speedsports, for instance.

ZEI had a different nose and front cycle wings.  Rest was the same for the year.

Edit I am talking about ZE1220 that had type approval or equivalent

That scuttle referred to above was used on factory built cars I think. 

That was what I thought, but I have seen it in older kit build manuals too. I'm wondering whether it was factory builds and full modular kits only?

Interesting and I ask as a friend has one and although we haven't yet had a chance to compare our cars side-by-side (mine's a 2000 SEW). Mine's also a kit and has some similarities with the ZEI ie the nosecone (has the same 'flange' on which the bonnet sits).

Odd shaped bulkhead on the ZEI :-/

Why did Westfield run the two models in tandem, I wonder?

Interesting thread indeed. I have also never seen a ZEI in the flesh, do we know the reason for it, and or the ZK bodywork?

Daniel

Interesting thread indeed. I have also never seen a ZEI in the flesh, do we know the reason for it, and or the ZK bodywork?Daniel

The ZEI 1800 (shown above) was designed for the european market and the Factory built cars carried Low Volume Type Approval. The offset bonet bulge was to cover the standard zetec inlet manifold and throttle body.
  • Like 1

The offset bonet bulge was to cover the standard zetec inlet manifold and throttle body.

Ah right, makes sense.

The ZEI 1800 (shown above) was designed for the european market and the Factory built cars carried Low Volume Type Approval.

Presumably the longer nose, and infill around the wishbones etc, was required or felt to be needed to meet the type approval demands?

Thanks.

Daniel

So, is this some kind of 'wide arched' SEiW?

Seems to be extra width on the outside section compared to most other cars, this kit was sold early 90's

Wider

So, is this some kind of 'wide arched' SEiW?

Seems to be extra width on the outside section compared to most other cars, this kit was sold early 90's

It's not one I've seen before. It's difficult to tell but have they been extended in the past? What does the inside of the arch look like?

The inner arch has the 'scalloped' look you mention above for SEiW.

Sorry - see what you mean now - inside of the arch looks normal, no joins.

I had been puzzled by some conversations about difficulty fitting 8" wheels, when it appears this would take 10's. Then on a day out when I saw it alongside other cars I spotted the extra width I have.

Great FAQ btw, hope I haven't  made it complicated.  Feel free to remove this discussion and leave the FAQ 'to the point' as it was.

The order form from 1991 does contain the text 'German Spec Wide' but I think that may refer to the chassis not the bodywork?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have pictures to show the difference between standard and lowered floors?

Should lowered floors be visible from the side under the bodywork?

Yes, mine are visible from the side, though they're inset slightly, so you'd need to lean down a bit to spot them.