Ian Bunker

Twin 40's in a SE Narrow?

Ian Bunker

I have a SE Narrow with a Pinto 2.0L on a single Weber DGAV 32/36 and want to upgrade to twin 40 side draught Webers. I think I will need the shortest possible 1.15" manifold and maybe MISAB plates instead of O rings.  BUT will it all fit or will the front ram pipe foul the top chassis rail. Also what linkage will work in such a confined space please? Will I need an uprated fuel pump?  Any information or guidance would be very much appreciated. IB.

alexander72

i have twin 40"s and KN filters and no problem with space chap.

Hammy

I had them on a x/flow and vauxhall XE with no problems

Welly Jen

I have a Pinto engine in my narrow SE car and it used to have twin Weber 40DCOE's exactly as you describe. It now uses Jenvey throttle bodies, which are the same size and shape as DCOE's and fit on the same manifold. The manifold swept up and also backwards if memory serves, so the carbs and air filters miss the chassis rail. I have this vague recollection that Westfield used to sell a suitable manifold. It isn't in the current on line shop, but that doesn't mean it isn't still available. It would be worth calling the parts department and having a chat. If they don't still sell it they may be able to point you in the right direction as it is probably sourced from someone else anyway.

I still have the DCOE's and they are for sale, along with the manifold fixings. You would need to source a manifold, throttle linkage and air filters. PM if interested.

Jenny

carbon-nv

You can also use a bottom-mounted Weber linkage Ian, should you find space limited under the bonnet

Welly Jen

To add: My car had/has a top mounted twin cable throttle linkage. There was plenty of room under the bonnet for this. A bottom mount linkage is also possible, but there is the distributor and crank case ventilation oil seperator down there too as well as the engine mounts, so fitting and adjustment is going to be harder than for a top mount link. The air filters protruded through a hole in the bonnet. You would really struggle to keep them inside the bonnet in a narrow. It is also better to have them outside in cool air, as has been discussed in several Techy Talk posts recently.

Jen

Edited to add:

I've found a picture from five years ago of my car with the manifold, DCOE's, K&N air filters and the top mounted twin linkage. You can see the S bend that the manifold takes so that the filters clear the chassis rail. Also it shows there is plenty of room under the bonnet.

weber-toad_zps037c2f95.jpg