Just joined today and about to buy a 1.6 seiw 155 bhp sigma

lochnessside

Good luck for tomorrow Lochnessside! Hope it's what you're looking for.

I'm a newbie too as I've only had my car about 3 weeks (a very nice yellow '98 SE 1600 CVH). It sounds like you're only a few miles away from me (i'm just the other side of Farr, Strathnairn), so I'll be looking out for you. It'll be great to have another Westie in the area, even if it is quicker than mine!! Looking forward to some good blats.

Cheers,

David

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lochnessside

• David-hrv

• Doug Dastardly

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

The Sigma is a cracking, and in the world of Westfields, somewhat underrated engine. It's really well suited to the ethos of the Seven type car, being so light and revy compared to the bigger four pot engines.

That's a lightness that if followed through to the rest of the cars spec really pays dividend when it comes to handling, braking etc

In Westfield circles, there seems to be something of a tendency to throw heavy two litre engines at everything, then tune them etc, and before you know it, the weight of the car is creeping up as well.

Which is fine, no problem at all, if that's what you want, but it's a very different driving experience, and arguably  much less Seven like the Small engined lighter weight cars.

It seems a lot of you rate the sigma engine as being light and free reving which is good. by * pm tonight I hope to have a car.Feel like a a kid at christmas!

Burton can even tune it up to 200bhp. How much would that cost?

Yes I live near Whitebridge and at one time lived in Daviot and Inverarnie. David where in Farr are you.

Hi again Lochnessside.

I can tell you're excited about the new arrival! Don't we just have the best roads in the UK to drive these cars on around here? 

Looking forward to seeing your new Westie. We're just a mile past Inverarnie on the unclassified road between Balnafoich and Daviot (it runs parallel with the B851).

We'll have to meet up when you've got your car.

David

David

I know where you are. You must be very close to the late John Woods cottage just before the fishing loch heading toward Daviot?

If the deal goes through I will let you know and yes it would be good to meet up with another local westie for a wee thrash.

Are to a mechanical genius or like me who struggles with wiring a plug?

About a third of a mile after the fishing loch. I'll try and PM you the address. Like you, I'm going to rely on all the other great guys on this forum for technical help.over the coming months and years. I can now recognise the front end of the car from the back, but I'm learning fast by reading the posts on the forum and storing knowledge for future reference.

I took my car over to Ricky Gauld's rolling road near Huntly a few days ago and he has worked his magic with the Weber twin 40 carbs. The engine is only a 1600 CVH, but it's now giving 125bhp which I didn't think was bad for a standard motor. A rolling road session is definitely recommended when you get your car.

Hope the deal is successful. Let us all know how it goes.

Cheers,

David

There's been a real rise in the number of cars up here since I bought my kit :t-up:

We'll have to meet in Inverness and take a spin sometime.

There's more than I thought. Are you from Thurso? I think I met you at Applecross with the other guys a few months ago. That was before I bought my car.

No, that's David.

I'm near Tain, and Alan's in Invergordon, and Steve lives near Forres.

That's great that we're all reasonably close. So when Lochnessside gets his car (hopefully today), we could all arrange to meet up if anybody's interested?

The car is now mine. One nice factory built car. It is getting serviced, full check over, MOT and Taxed for a year and the seller will supply and fit a smaller steering wheel as it is too tight even with lowered floor. He has also provided a 1 year mechanical insurance cover but the car is very sound and it great condition.

Took it for a wee blast but it was such a shock in relation to my normal car. I found the gear box very hard to use with first gear hard to find but that is me having no experience of the car or the box. The brakes felt heavy but when the seller took over  for a spin it was clear that it was my crap driving and lack of feel for my new toy. He races in simialr style cars and it showed.

One happy westie owner now. I am going to collect first week in September and will try and post some snaps when I get home middle of this week.

Exhaust sounded great and it does go well.

I had the smile all you guys talk about. I now need 3 weeks of sunshine in September

Yep, lack of brake servo is an eye opener at first, they can feel a bit wooden, but you do get used to it.

Bet you're like a kid waiting for Christmas right now!  Congrats and fingers crossed for a dry September. :)

Congratulations. Have a good long blat when you get it back. Take it easy and discover all it's little quirks. By October you'll not notice anything amiss.

Congratulations!

It will feel a lot difference at first to a tin top, no assistance etc! Brakes shouldn't necessarily feel wooden though, the whole advantage of no servo should be better feel and control, all be it at the expense of much more pedal effort needed. (Feel issues often turn out just to be a brake pad choice thing).

See how the gear change side goes, as you say, it may just be cause you're not used to it, but it should be reasonably precise and smooth. Westfield's often use a remote linkage though for the gear lever, so it is possible it might just need some adjustment.

The gear box seems to be very close too easy to get 3rd and not 1st. Iam sure it was me but I will ask if the remote linkage might need tweaking.

I hope this link will take you to some photos of my car. I did not pay the asking price! and the yellow one sold very quickly.

http://www.rpm-morgan.co.uk/product.php?view=detail&item=121

Iam sure one of the other members will tell me about previous owners and \I hope they tell me it is a good car that caused no problems.Iam the 3 owner and previous owner was from Edinburgh.

A bit late now if I have a lemon. But I think I dont. The guy who sold it to me is well repespected in the niche market he operates in. He has some fab Morgans but with some at +£50k

Comments welcome