Newbie here, does anyone know this car?

atl502

I'd say it was a general consensus that it is a more modern engine - calling one engine better than another is a misnomer, depends what you want to do!  But it's probably easier and cheaper to get more power out of the Vauxhall in this comparison.

yes a 2litre red top (XE vauxhall) is a great engine and can be tuned later etc and its better than a Pinto

I'd say it was a general consensus that it is a more modern engine - calling one engine better than another is a misnomer, depends what you want to do!  But it's probably easier and cheaper to get more power out of the Vauxhall in this comparison.

Ah thanks Scott, that is perhaps a better way to word it! 

yes a 2litre red top (XE vauxhall) is a great engine and can be tuned later etc and its better than a Pinto

Thanks Terry, seems a zetec or red top is the way to go.

Appreciate the help all

Ah thanks Scott, that is perhaps a better way to word it! 

Thanks Terry, seems a zetec or red top is the way to go.

Appreciate the help all

Not necessarliy what about BEC, though your budget may be a bit light.

Don't discount the good old boat anchor pinto either, you could get a very tidy car for your budget.

Just when you thought the waters were clearing somebody has stuck a big muddy size 10 in the puddle LOL

As a comparison my car is a 92 wide. I paid 5200 and that came with new Zk bodywork, tuned and dry sumped 1700 xflow, quaife LSD and a better ratio type 8 gearbox. Was up for £5999 at a dealer and i knocked him down as it needed a few jobs

Phil, is the type 8 gearbox a type 9 with one missing? :)

Not necessarliy what about BEC, though your budget may be a bit light.

Don't discount the good old boat anchor pinto either, you could get a very tidy car for your budget.

Just when you thought the waters were clearing somebody has stuck a big muddy size 10 in the puddle LOL

It seems there are just too many options for the water to really clear that much anyway!

Thought my budget would be light for a BEC, would need a reverse gear, do they ever come with wet weather gear?

There are good cars out there with a wide range of engines etc. Our comments are more "general opinion" 

A cars value and what it runs like is a mixture of what parts it has on it that are standard or upgraded and how well it fits your requirements including price!

As a comparison my car is a 92 wide. I paid 5200 and that came with new Zk bodywork, tuned and dry sumped 1700 xflow, quaife LSD and a better ratio type 8 gearbox. Was up for £5999 at a dealer and i knocked him down as it needed a few jobs

I would be happy with a well sorted car with a slightly more 'unfavoured' or older engine, whether that is crossflow or pinto I dont mind. If a car has been nicely tuned and looked after, particularly with something like a Quaife LSD , I would certainly look into it.

Just don't want something that will cost a fortune to keep going and not produce any power!

I think I will have to just set myself a price (£6k) and look for the most sorted car possible, otherwise I may end up in circles and never actually buy one!

Phil, is the type 8 gearbox a type 9 with one missing? :)

no its a type 9 but the owner is a dimwit

Ok, last question before I leave you guys alone for a while...!

Am I right in thinking this is a very nice spec zetec car? Or just my newbie hat on...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-2-0-zetec-se-w-widebody/1618245#

And any thoughts on this (apart from the graphics!)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-7se-2-0l-red-top/1594703#

Might have to do some man maths to increase that budget....

The Martini car looks good VFM.

Actually I think the graphics look in place. I don't normally like "flashy" cars but that looks OK.

If it's as good as he says why is he selling? Unless he bought is as a wreck and is selling it for a profit. Worth asking.

ed to add you can always ask Scott to run you up to Scotland to see it. :)

The Martini car does not have independent suspension and may not have a LSD. For a vauxhall powered car they always recommended and independent rear due to the power output. It also does not have a "proper" rollover bar. The cars you are showing us may be ok but they all have good and bad points so comparisons on paper are hard

• Like 1

Ok, last question before I leave you guys alone for a while...!

Am I right in thinking this is a very nice spec zetec car? Or just my newbie hat on...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-2-0-zetec-se-w-widebody/1618245#

And any thoughts on this (apart from the graphics!)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/westfield-7se-2-0l-red-top/1594703#

Can I just point out the Martini one is a narrow body :oops:

The first (red) one is nice but IMHO a little expensive and has standard chocolate rollbar and 5k miles in 14 years but new pads and discs  ???