Hi from a newbie

buckster

Many thanks for the replies gents. Who would be best to check for a possible sticking oil relief valve. The engine doesn't make any funny noises any runs fine but Chester sports cars said the engine was breathing oil vapour from the breather.

Pete

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buckster

• FILFAN

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Norman Verona

Pete, whet engine? Do you know what the oil pressure is at tickover and 5000 rpm?

have a look at the first post wuv

Pete, whet engine? Do you know what the oil pressure is at tickover and 5000 rpm?

For everything they are supplying it is not a bad quote, but the cheapest option is to have the CVH reconditioned, or to buy a replacement unit.

When ever you change things it gets expensive, but all things are relative. if it gets you a better car and that is what you want and can afford go for it. Westfields are not investments, they are toys and anything you play with costs money.

Chester Sports Cars have a good reputation so you will be okay with them if that is the chosen route. Any engine that is breathing is worn, but how long that will last is an unknown. The lack of pressure is the bigger problem for me.

I would stick with a replacement CVH engine, the cheapest all round and long time solution.   If you are not craving more power and about to race, sprint or trackday your car then why go for expensive newer engines.  If you're happy with your  road going car and feel it has enough power now stick with the CVH.

As a comparison DIY'ing the rebuild will cost anything up to £1000 depending on how many parts need changing, it seems the minimum required for you is crank bearings, piston rings, oil pump, water pump, full set of gaskets are required judging by your symptons. Double that for an engine builder to do it for you.  You may also find a ready running engine on this forum for much less with honest history.

Steve, sorry, you'll have to make allowances for a grumpy old man. I didn't even see page one, i started on page 2!

mumble, mumble, mumble.

Just a further question, does anybody know a good engine builder who could could give me an idea how much it would cost to rebuild my cvh so I could compare it with a zetec conversion. As said before I live in South Manchester.

i use stanwoods engineering in bawtry. may be a bit far for you though

Whereabouts in South Manchester, it's a big place.

Why not pop along to the Manchester area meeting on Wednesday and let folks have a look :t-up:

I wont be there :(

Just to add It's in North Manchester (Chadderton) but dont let that put you off, it's a nice place really :d

But I know what you southerners are like ;)

Assuming the other simple suggestions, like sticking relief valves arnt the problem then

I reckon you could pick up a good CVH for less than a grand, half a days work then off you go.

Have you got an adjustable spanner :)

As a fellow CVHer I say stick with the CVH engine. 

It's a great little engine for a road Westy.

Plus I think us CVHer's are starting to become a rare breed.

Dave

Sticking with a CVH will be the fastest and cheapest way to get back on the road while the weather is still good!  Do check the pressure relief valve, though - and the oil, for the matter, just thinking...when was it last changed?  Too thin / wrong viscosity, maybe?

/fellow CVHer :)