Sign in to follow this  
gary marsh

Dooh - chassis straightening

gary marsh

Following an overenthusiastic exit from Gerrards at Mallory Park on Friday I have an embarrassingly bent front nearside.

Putting aside the replaceable bits, my main issue is a slightly bent chassis; the nearside top rail is bent a couple of centimetres out of true between about half way along the engine bay (it is a 1991 SEiW which has a diagonal brace running forward to that point) and the front rail. The top front rail accordingly has a slight bow in it but the offside looks fine.

No sign of any cracks in tubes or welds.

Does anyone have experience of getting a chassis straightened rather than going back to the factory for a new front frame?

I am in the Birmingham area.

Regards

Gary

peterg

Calling SteveD to the Boardroom :t-up:

Captain Colonial

The factory or SteveD are your first ports of call - I'd be straight on the phone to both, and having photos to email to them will be a big help.

Really, really sorry to hear about your bump, hope you'll be back in business soon! :)

peterg

The factory or SteveD are your first ports of call - I'd be straight on the phone to both

as above.... but Steve's more likely to answer the phone :laugh:  :oops:

luxseven

Been there ... you mean something like that?

Can be saved, ask SteveD, I had to do it locally (Luxembourg) because Steve was to far from me.

I recommend a complete strip, at least of the front, to be able to measure.

Sorry for that, know what it's like ... :down:

Cheers.

Jos

seven+020.JPG

Norman Verona

Oh well, if we're showing our broken bits:

accident21.jpg

Gary, phone SteveD, he's your man to sort it, at the right price and (relatively) quickly.

cast iron

Its not a difficult job if you put your mind to it. I tried the experts and just got p******** around. Did it myself after the second collision, never looked back

gary marsh

Thanks to everyone for the rapid replies. Yup Jos, pretty much like that although the fibreglass survived in tact.

My son had been racing the thing most of the day and it happened right at the end, so at least we had a good day, Just added to the embarrassment that not only is he quicker than me, he keeps it on the black stuff!

Gary

alexander72

Diplofat.... :d   AKA Steve D 

SteveD

if i can help ring me on 01606 834420 work ,if it is only as bad as you say should be able to do it with everything in place without stripping it ,we can collect and drop off if you want ,steve

User0083

Evening Gary,

As pictures are going up here's one from my drive home after buying the car!!!

58C4D542-A87D-44BB-9CA0-3A19E476D7DA-922

Lady with two screaming toddlers decided to turn right while looking over her shoulder and shouting at her kids.

I have more pictures of more incidents... But not about that. I'll agree with all above, depending on where you live, SteveD or factory. But I think there is one place down south too, but unsure. As factory is 8 miles from my house, I go there. If Steve was closer to me than factory I'd probably go there. But being B'ham... You might be going to the factory.

In pictured shunt I had a whole new front welded on, only things re used front of pedals was engine, gear box and number plate! I'm on my third tub in two years!!!

gary marsh

Thanks Steve D.

I have emailed you some pics and will call tomorrow.

Happy to do some of the stripping and get it up to you.

Much happier this evening, thanks all. 

Gary

SteveD

no worries wuv speak to you in the morning

• Like 1

SootySport

Steve doesn't do Westy chassis repairs anymore, he's sold the jig.   I don't know who else can help except the factory.     Hope you have it done soon.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Steve sold up and is working for another bodyshop these days.