XI Donor advice

Si Richards

Would you like to buy an angle grinder? :)

(Thanks Norman!)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Si Richards

• Norman Verona

• jonclancy

• bhouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or they might lay in wait for him, before clubbing him to death with their Thermoses, and dragging him off in a wicker picnic hamper for burial in an unmarked inspection pit.   

Norman Verona

OK, if it's going it's going. If you want me to put an ad in Mascot just let me know.

By all accounts, the front suspension can be a challenge.  But if you remove it as a whole unit, using a jack to compress the spring (BE VERY CAREFUL), you will only need to heat/grind off the bottom bush bolts (that will be seized!!).  THat said, if this car has just been rebuild, then it'll pop apart with a socket set and some Halfords Shock and Unlock.  But yes - dismantling pics and lots of them!!

"Popcorn!" :t-up:

BTW, you need to use the weight of the engine in the chassis when you jack up the spring - or it won't work.

And then might go ping and take your leg off.  So be careful!! :t-up:

P.S. We're all disappointed by the lack of progress reported!!! :d

Si Richards

BTW, you need to use the weight of the engine in the chassis when you jack up the spring - or it won't work.

And then might go ping and take your leg off.  So be careful!! :t-up:

P.S. We're all disappointed by the lack of progress reported!!! :d

Thanks Jon

Sorry for no update but work followed by a substantial 4 day stag weekend has put me off target but the fun begins tomorrow!!!!!!

"nurse please sedate the patient!!!!!"

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Thank goodness for that, thought the men in tweed had caught up with you...

Scott Young

Out of curiosity and just using my own previous experience (i.e. failures, injuries, blood, and alternative solutions), when disassembling a particularly tricky front suspension once, I used ratchet straps to keep the whole thing under control so the stupid thing wouldn't come flying off at speed, which seemed to work on the second one I did after the first one taught me a lesson - would that be of any use in this particular situation or not?

Norman Verona

It should be standard practice. I thought I was the only one who injured himself :)

I once had to fit a beam of wood between chassis and roof truss to hold the car down whilst I compressed the spring to get the top shocker (wishbone) attached.

Wow - that Midget looks really nice!!!

Keep the updates coming, Si!  Enjoying the read!

Cheers

Jon

Norman Verona

Si, I may forgive you, in fact I probably will.

But in the meantime if you want to sell the bits piece by piece, I'll have one of the rear lights. I only need the lens (mines cracked at the bottom were the screw holds it in).

PM me a price if you want to sell one.

Thanks.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

:d And even from here, you can see the vultures circle...  :d  :p 

Norman Verona

Just checked. Moss, who didn't have stock when I last looked, have them now and at £16.05 for the lens, this vulture may just swoop over there :)

Si Richards

Hi Norman it's good of you to forgive me so quick, I promise the surgery will be quick and painless and the little Midget won't suffer one bit. If you would like anything let me know but at £16 I think a new one would be the best bet, the ones off mine have obviously had a selection of different size and shape mounting screws over the years and certainly wouldn't be describable as new.

Norman Verona

Si, OK, but as long as the two holes are in good nick and not cracked it'll be OK.

If you want to give me a price and post it I'll transfer the money as soon as you know the postage. Moss, like most companies sending stuff overseas charge about double the real cost of postage. In this case that want 16.05 for the lens and £22 for postage. Ordinary cheap mail will suffice, I'm not in a rush. In fact if you hang on a day or so I'll have a good look round the car to see if there's anything else I need.