XI Donor advice

Si Richards

Si Richards

I got the deal done first and dutifully looked at all the body panels, the full photographic renovation project diary and how nice the interior was all the time thinking "couldn't care less you will be on eBay in about 20 minutes!!!!"

The guy selling it loved it but luckily didn't have an unnatural relationship with it  :love:  :love:  :love:  , so in the end once the price was agreed, deposit paid and it removed from eBay I came clean and told him about my new best friend Mr Angle Grinder and then ducked!!!! Luckily after I had shown him a few pictures of the Eleven and he had finished his large Scotch to settle his nerves all was well and I was winging my way back home desperately thinking how I could get the money to him on a Sunday before he changed his mind. Luckily due to the wonders of internet banking and after a couple of phone calls I was heading back to Woking with a trailer to pick it up.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Si Richards

• Norman Verona

• jonclancy

• bhouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or they might lay in wait for him, before clubbing him to death with their Thermoses, and dragging him off in a wicker picnic hamper for burial in an unmarked inspection pit.   

Congratulations Simon.

Remove those panels with care and you can (a) recoup much of your investment and (b) make a real contribution to the Spridget community.

I presume you've already invested in industrial quantities of PlusGas/WD40? And sticking plasters...

Nick Algar

It will be interesting to see how well you get on selling the bits Si, as this could be a good way to go. Although I would agree it does look a cracker of a car. Not sure I could break one that good, I still remember having one many years ago. Great little car :d

Si Richards

I will definitely be taking everything off with plenty of care as every pound I get back in my eyes will be a bonus and as you say someone else will benefit so hopefully nothing will go to waste. I've never been a fan of MG's until today and already feel bad about what's going to happen but I am having to think about the MG with the same mindset I use when I look at the Piglets I've bred this year to keep the freezer full, "if its not got a name its off to the butchers!!!!!"

Congrats, Si!!  Er... I was thinking something a little rougher than that!! :p   Nice looking MG.

It'll become a nicer looking Eleven, though.

Nick, I can assure you that with 55bhp, the car is a joy to drive.  WOT without (much) risk to license and good economy.  Sounds great, too.  But... if you go North of 100bhp, it gets proper quick.  Only experienced this in a couple of passenger rides, but bleedin' 'eck it's quick!

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Sad to say, Im hoping we get a deconstruction thread on the MG almost as much as we get a construction thread on the XI  :d 

XTR2Turbo

That does look a nice donor but I bet there will be a few nasties lurking somewhere in the bodywork once you scratch the surface.

Norman Verona

Si, Why not sell that on, I suspect you didn't pay too much for it, they are fetching good money now and buy a basket case for the conversion.

I sometimes prefer driving mine to the 7. No manic speeds, pottering along country roads at 50 MPH with no reason to go as fast as possible you arrive home very relaxed and calm. Whereas in the 7 I feel that I've got to drive as flat out as public roads allow and arrive back with a big grin but certainly not relaxed, more like a spring wound tight.

Scott Young

With my enterprising hat on, I'd be tempted to put up an ad on the MG site (and take the subsequent flak) explaining what you are doing, what bits are for sale, and that the winning bidders must bring their own tools and remove the parts in question themselves.  One, it will save a ton of work, and two, they will have the skills to remove the parts correctly, which is a skill set the XI builder will never need again.  Some might see that as lazy or not as much fun, of course, but perhaps worth a thought. ;)

Or they might lay in wait for him, before clubbing him to death with their Thermoses, and dragging him off in a wicker picnic hamper for burial in an unmarked inspection pit.  :oops: 

• Like 1
Scott Young

Or they might lay in wait for him, before clubbing him to death with their Thermoses, and dragging him off in a wicker picnic hamper for burial in an unmarked inspection pit.  :oops:

:laugh:

Which in itself might be entertaining to watch, as long as we were there with our video cameras. :t-up:

Nick Algar

With my enterprising hat on, I'd be tempted to put up an ad on the MG site (and take the subsequent flak) explaining what you are doing, what bits are for sale, and that the winning bidders must bring their own tools and remove the parts in question themselves.  One, it will save a ton of work, and two, they will have the skills to remove the parts correctly, which is a skill set the XI builder will never need again.  Some might see that as lazy or not as much fun, of course, but perhaps worth a thought. ;)

Reminds me of the conservatory I needed to get rid of to extend the house. Builder wanted stupid money to take it down. I put it on ebay and got £ 600 for it and the guy came along with a couple of m8's and it was gone in a day :d :D I think that's called a "win win" situation 

Si Richards

Norman is right I should definitely sell it on, being an ex car salesman I reckon I could turn a rather nice profit but its for the chop and that's final!!!! I am keen to start the project and to be honest am glad every waking moment of free time isn't being wasted scanning the net for a suitable donor!!!

Death by Thermos Flask doesn't sound that good so I will be doing the dismantling under the cover of darkness but will ensure lots of hammer and chisel destruction photos are taken for Gadgetmans gratification!!!!

Scott Young

Death by Thermos Flask doesn't sound that good...

There's worse ways to go.

Wait until you start taking the front suspension apart! :d