How civilised with windscreen/doors?

D7PNY

I once went over the Snake to Manchester Airport and flew to Germany. Came back same evening and it was pouring (nothing new there, then). This was when I had a screen. No doors and the problem was:

Rain on outside of screen, wipers tried but not 100%

Rain on inside of screen, down to constantly wiping with a leather

Rain on glasses, leather.

Nightmare journey which should have taken an hour took 2.

Oh, and when I got to the pub for a meal and a pint or 6, I made a huge puddle in the bar from water running out of my right sleeve. (no I didn't pee myself)

I didn't have a frame with my hood, so I had to make my own. I find the hood is only good for parking to be honest also I found the sidescreens didn't actually fit in the car. So I modified them to they fold in half but never use them whilst driving I have a set of wind deflectors. The roof I find annoying as they are a pain to put up (ie a lot of grunting and pulling unless its sunny) and when driving they drum on my head. 

Looking for alternatives for bad weather but at the moment I use the roof and sidescreens for parking only. I was thinking about a torneau  cover but don't see how you can see all the instruments with the passenger side covered. (have I missed something?)

Hope that helps

Paul

I'll admit she was pretty tired and the sun was on her face, but my girlfriend managed to fall asleep in the car with the roof off but doors on while I was doing 60mph along a quiet A road recently.

The screen and doors on make it a fairly civilised environment up to 65mph I'd say. Doors off at speed is a bit different...

I love the idea of aeroscreens but it'd seriously reduce the likleyhood of me being allowed to use the Westfield as often (when she is accompanying me of course). Maybe with a screen and hood you'd be able to use the car much more regularly an wouldn't want to sell at all as it would be getting much more use?

Around once a month I do 120 mile motorway trips with the hood on, give the girlfriend some noise cancelling headphones and she's happy enough.

With regards to rain I've sealed the car fairly well and am happy to do the 120 motorway miles in the rain, and of course I get out of the car 100% dry, not even a damp elbow.

HM always fell asleep on the drive back from LM, even with an aeroscreen.

One of the good things about being a shortarse   :)

I tried the roof and doors on my old zetec westie once and the noise was unbearable, I'm quite a hardcore enthusiast and don't mind a bit of exhaust/inlet roar but I had to turn back literally after 100 yards and get a pair of industrial ear defenders from the garage.  Has anybody else experienced this?

I'm just getting rid of my screen, hood, doors and heater (coming to a for sale section near you when I get my A*** in gear!) and going with an Aerodynamix high level aeroscreen and half doors.

ifound driving the car in the wet unpleasant with the weather gear. The noise was unpleasant an it was like going camping. I bl**** hate camping! The visibility with the side doors isn't good and for my height in the standard seats the screen is very much in view. I'm pretty much a fair weather driver anyway!

I did 140 miles on Saturday in mine, screen, side screens/doors and half hood on. Through rain and sunshine

Thoroughly enjoyed it, and i would not say it was any noisier with the hood on than off

had wind deflectors on for 2 yrs now took them off today and went out..........

god what a difference they make, think i left my right eye somewhere on the M61

will be putting them back on tomorrow for sure...