Terryathome

Radiator replacement

Terryathome

Looking to replace polo rad at some point as slight staining near bottom outlet pipe, so better to replace now rather than breakdown somewhere. Having looked through other posts concerning radiators I have a question.

My question is:

The standard polo rad will work fine with 2.0 Blacktop but like the idea of the uprated rads (claim is 35% better) that go for a lot more money (£250 ish) than seems sensible. A standard rad of fle bay is about £25 so quite a differance in costs.

Has anybody swaped from the cheaper option to the more costly one and what differance did it make if any?

Terry

darve

if the standard one works fine as you say then why change to an updated one :p

like your vids btw :)

SteveD

never had a issue with a polo rad so don't see the point spending hundreds on a alloy rad

SootySport

My £25 polo rad is also showing signs of leaks so I'll be changing mine soon.  As Terry is supercharging his engine I would have thought a decent alloy rad is a necessity.   £250 is probably worth it IMHO.   

Terryathome

Sooty, fair point I think.

I was more thinking about NA engine and using the car for the next 4 months or so. For all they cost £25 it's a no brainer to buy one and then consider changing it when I supercharge the engine.

So anybody swaped from Polo to uprated rad? 

Terry

KugaWestie

Gadgetman has swapped his I think

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Yep, I've got a couple of extensive posts on it!

Certainly makes a difference.

In your situation, if you need to fix a problem, I'd just get a cheap one for now - though with the cheap ones, check it carefully before modifying it, (tapping mounting holes, blanking off outlets etc). I didn't and by the time I realised the whole thing was banana shaped it was to late to return it.

You may find when you get to the supercharging stage that you want one of the combined radiator/charge cooler "packages" where the two components are mounted on top or in front of each other with the mounts welded in.

Terryathome

Thats just the info I wanted, Thanks.

Already bought Polo rad, delivery tomorrow, direct replacement, fingers crossed.

Will look further for your posts.

Terry

Terryathome

Shiney new one. Had to tap out the 4 mounting points and the overflow.

DSC00019.JPG