First Track Day Keevil - 10 June

jonjh1964

I'm booked for my 1st track day with MSE and Keevil on the 10 June - new build 2.0L Zetec/Jenvey TB/FW with ~1500 miles on the clock.

Anyone else planning to be there?

Any tips for a TD Virgin - I've already booked 3 x 20 mins instruction.

Jon H

Just watch the tyre wear.  Mine were wearing very quickly at Keevil compared to other tracks.  Other than that be observant and let people through and you will have great fun  :d

Keep plenty of fuel in it to prevent starvation ie half a tank will be OK. Good job with the instruction it is good to listen and learn. I always remind myself I am good at my job and they are good at theirs, so listen and learn, after all you are paying for it. ! Good luck

Very jealous! I was meant to be going to this. Alas it wasn't to be, still waiting for my car to come back.

Good man Jon. You're doing the right thing with an airfield IMO, plenty of run off ;)

I'm a newbie, have done 8 days now including airfields and some national circuits and my biggest gains have been from a professional geo set up, tuition & better brakes.

If you PM me your address I'll send you a really good guide book I found useful the first time, then that'll give me an excuse to come to Keevil to pick the book up :)

Fuel starvation is a good call and keeping an eye on your oil pressure so you get an idea of how good your sump is!!

You're gonna love it :)

Might be a good idea to go round the car with a torque wrench and check those vital nuts and bolts, 1500 miles will be enough to shake anything loose or some you may have forgotten.

Good idea on the instruction if you are a trackday virgin. Drive fast and safely.

Oh, and be prepared for those young kids in their GTI's flying past you, it will happen.

Many thanks to all - especially Burlers who kindly posted me a copy of Track Days, A Glovebox Guide by Hamish Smart.  A good read reflecting much of the advice above and more.

Jon H

Check all your fluid levels as soon as you can in case you need to top up. I would also check your break pads, it's surprising how much you can use on a hot summers day. Which it will be of course! Sun cream?!

The best advice of all - enjoy it! MSE are a great outfit with a good reputation, so nothing to worry about there.

Finally - we need a report and post track day diagnosis... including pictures. This bit is a must!

Mike

Excellent 1st track day - a really good atmosphere with lots a different cars - including 1/2 dozen Westfields and a similar number of Caterhams. Lessons went well but I had a 120 deg spin going into a corner too fast, off line and not easing off the steering before putting on the power. Apart from the spin, I completed about 50 laps in 6 to 8 lap sessions without incident getting more confident as the day went on. By the end of each session my water temp was getting close to 100 deg and there was a very strong brake material smell so time to go back to the paddock and look at the other cars and chat to the owners. Now looking to book again on the 22 July...........so far I'm resisting the temptation to change things but Mintex 1144 pads, R888 tyres and a quicker steering rack might be the first things I look for. I came home to find the latest copy of Westfield World sitting on the door mat.

Great to meet you Jon and thanks again for helping me load the car back up

E81BF0F2-9891-4F3B-A3A8-AB09299CF05C-548

Looks like the upright had a fatigue crack in it as about 15% of the sheared off face was very dirty compared to the remaining clear section :oops:  You can just about see that beneath the caliper bolts here:

E6520E3C-CFA5-42D1-A6F2-AE3FBDD8E94B-548

Classic, last lap of the day, why not hoon it now :arse:   :cry:

Still a great day though, cheers :t-up:

Excellent 1st track day - a really good atmosphere with lots a different cars - including 1/2 dozen Westfields and a similar number of Caterhams. Lessons went well but I had a 120 deg spin going into a corner too fast, off line and not easing off the steering before putting on the power. Apart from the spin, I completed about 50 laps in 6 to 8 lap sessions without incident getting more confident as the day went on. By the end of each session my water temp was getting close to 100 deg and there was a very strong brake material smell so time to go back to the paddock and look at the other cars and chat to the owners. Now looking to book again on the 22 July...........so far I'm resisting the temptation to change things but Mintex 1144 pads, R888 tyres and a quicker steering rack might be the first things I look for. I came home to find the latest copy of Westfield World sitting on the door mat.

Ah, see, I told you'd find something that needs upgrading for the track and you have.    Brake pads are usually the first to change and then the other things.   100deg. is quite normal on the gauge, don't worry about that as long as the cooling system is in top condition.   Your right to do 6 to 8 laps at a time, your learning very quickly what trackdays are all about.   If you are like me you'd be booking the next trackday as soon as you got home.      

Great to meet you Jon and thanks again for helping me load the car back up

E81BF0F2-9891-4F3B-A3A8-AB09299CF05C-548

Looks like the upright had a fatigue crack in it as about 15% of the sheared off face was very dirty compared to the remaining clear section :oops:  You can just about see that beneath the caliper bolts here:

E6520E3C-CFA5-42D1-A6F2-AE3FBDD8E94B-548

Classic, last lap of the day, why not hoon it now :arse:   :cry:

Still a great day though, cheers :t-up:

Oooo, that could have been dangerous!       Easily fixed though.

Chris,

I resisted the temptation to post the photo last night! Definitely looks as if the webs had cracked previously to weaken it - typical fatigue would have a series of "lands" prior to the final overload crack. Did it's failing result in the off or did it break as you went off the main tarmac, if the latter the pre-existing crack might have speeded up the overload failure and effectively saved the rest of the suspension/chassis. I'll try to upload a video tonight - failed last night went I got home.

Jon

video link

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/Jonjh1964/media/Keevil10Jun13-email_zps6836e907.mp4.html

I'm impressed by your restraint Jon.... :laugh:

The wheel folded when it went sideways over the grass tufts - so completely my fault for too much noise, but as Ed said "it shouldn't have done that!" :arse: 

It's with Tom New of New Techniques to get it checked over professionally, so we'll see if it did 'save' the rest of me suss   - and it was the other side to where that wally reversed into me last month, so it wasn't linked to that.... (I think the alloy took a hit tho - one run out only  :cry: )

Glad you had a good day, looking fwd to your vid :yes:

Thanks Sooty - I was lucky :oops:

Some more photos of the day...

DSC02416_zps37802636.jpg

Duratec worked on by NMS to give 220 bhp - FW bonnet with aerofoil

DSC02415_zps410ebaec.jpg

Mine

DSC02413_zps4792b7f3.jpg

V6 ST220 with front wing and rear diffuser

DSC02411_zps815f7b60.jpg

The ST220 engine

DSC02420_zps4d562f15.jpg